Ash disease

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardroom

Established Member
Reaction score
I see tonight on the news that we are currently suffering with a very serious Ash tree disease, I was only in my teens when the Dutch Elm disease struck all them years ago.
Are we in the hands of government department in panic stations or have we really got problems with this species.
My question is as a turner will I be able to use any felled material or will it be either dangerous to use or banned.

There's an answer on the Forestry Commission's website, but it takes a bit of finding, so I guess they are being cautious until more is known:

23. Can the timber from infected ash trees still be used?
The implications for growers of ash for the timber trade would be significant if the disease were to become established in Britain. The timber in infected trees might still be usable for some purposes, although staining by the fungus might limit the range of end uses. Again, however, we hope that rapid action now by all parties will avert this scenario.

See http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-8w9euv

For a turner, it shouldn't be a problem - the fungus might even produce nice spalting :? . But for anything structural, it's probably too soon to be sure whether the timber will be significantly weakened. Seems unlikely, as it looks like the sort of fungus that feeds on the soluble products in living tissue, not in older lignified wood, but the FC pictures do show staining of the wood layer immediately under the bark, so .......

We've left it too late. It's been spreading throughout Europe since 2006/7 AFAIR. They could well turn round and say it all diseased stock has to be burnt.

Latest posts

Back