• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

As the Rolling Stones sung - "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime you find You get what you need"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

captainpk

Established Member
Reaction score
I find this is always my dilemma, when looking at what tools to buy - my eyes are bigger than my belly. I really love all the big trade rated machinery but I am a light use hobbyist and in reality I don't really need trade rated machinery. I have recently sold a whole load of machines (bandsaw, planer thicknesser, lathe, dust extractor and ducting (cam-vac), pillar drill and scroll saw), mainly because I am moving house and don't the have room and thought it would be easier to start again than move all the above stuff. I kept all my hand tools : )

To be honest it's a been a nice experience, I had resisted for many years but now it feels nice, I can start again and hopefully make more thoughtful decisions this time around. For me going forward I will prioritise the dust collection (not going to get in a debate to which one) and potentially a thicknesser (possibly the Triton) first. Most of my other machines are for hobbies (carving and turning) and I should in principle have enough tools to do the initial DIY that I will need to carry out (router, chopsaw, drills and saws (circular, jigsaw, multitool).

I have little willpower when it comes to spending but I hope I will be able to resist those lovely machines - how does everyone else resist the temptation?

One method, I have used in the past is to justify if I can make something to sell or give as a gift (saving money on gifts) then the tool is warranted or if I can save money on tradesmen then the tool is warranted, other than that it's normally because I have found a second hand machine that I have been able to get working again and I can warrant the purchase.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
If you have to justify it, you dont really need it. However, if you really WANT it, you dont have to justify anything.