Artex style woodfiller...looking for advice..any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty1974

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All.

I'm looking for a bit of advice on the best filler or plaster to create a Artex style effect on some cabinet doors that I want to make.

I need to find something that I can apply to plywood to create a textured finish (like you would have on the old artex ceiilings etc) but will stay on without cracking/shrinking or subsequently falling off after a couple of weeks!!!

Needs to be workable for about 30-40 mins and to a depth of around 3-5mm before setting etc, and also paintable afterwards.

Somebody said just to use wall plaster, but I can't see how that would stay on in the long term, I thought maybe car body filler would be better?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Scott

I’ll go out on a limb here - 1st step will be to treat the plywood with a primer ( I’d use the same type used for sealing plywood prior to laying ceramic tiles . Then you could use actually use artex of course with the doors laying flat . Then there are multiple textured paints that could be applied. I see no reason why you couldn’t use plaster but the type you use is important. I’d try gypsum finish plaster as it sticks like dung to just about anything especially if you prime the plywood as above . I’d definitely try it out on an off cut of a similar size - the primer goes on a blueish colour but dries clear . Also you could try 1 coat plaster but not sure of the open time of 30-40 minutes. Car body filler generally goes off quickly but there maybe other options I’m not aware of .

Attachments

• 702C6D04-1C65-4230-AA69-E3B3DB8206A5.jpeg
    702C6D04-1C65-4230-AA69-E3B3DB8206A5.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 0
isopon body filler for cars. how quick it sets up depends on how much hardener you put in. It also sticks like snot. I use it for edges on mdf before painting all the time and as a background for all my gilding work

Could you just trowel on tile adhesive then texture it how you want,let it dry and then paint,its a glue of sorts so should stick OK,cheap enough to get a small tub/bag and do a trial run.

Thanks for your replies,

I'm think I will do a few test runs with the plaster, body filler and also tile adhesive...

Droogs, quick question for you, if I go down the body filler route what would be the best ratio of hardener to filler for a 30-40 minute working time?

Cheers

Scott

It's trial and error as is also dependant on room temp. I go for a quick set mix as I use it while moulding edges with a router/moulder to get really smooth finish for painting. A 50/1bw ratio gets you around 5 mins, I think you could get it to stretch to 15-20 mins but too thin a mix and it will take forever to cure properly. You also need to mix it until it gives an even pink colour throughout. So maybe do smaller areas at a time. If you do each section before it fully cures then the edges will bond without any probs hth

Latest posts

Back