aristocrat chisels or not

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase 3 aristocrat chisels which to my untrained eye look ok; black h :) andle, screw-in blade, striking plate etc

Anybody ever heard of aristocrats??

Are they worth having?

Thanks again- :)

I take it thats a 'no' then.

I think they are called aristocrat, they have aristocrat engraved on the blade, and it has 'Ward and ....... Sheffield England' ; could be Sons?

They are black handles, good quality chisels. And I bought 'em now, so I don't suppose it matters.

I'd still like to know if they are any good though!!!

Yeehah- I have sussed it out. Have been shoutin at kids and mrs and everything!!! There is the picture!!

DSC00918-1.jpg

Ok. Hope it's worth it!!!

Cheers,
neil

when I first posted this pic there were 2 the same. I don't know why but this has been corrected.

Thanks whoever took the time to help me out!

Neil,

It's all part of the service here. :D

We often sort out posting problems, its nice you noticed. =D>

DaveL with his MOD hat on. :roll:

dave

well thanks all the same
I fear you will have your hands full with me though, I am blundering buffoon!!! I shall do my best to operate like a pro, but the truth is that I am lucky to be legible at all.

So are these a copy of the LN chisels, just with a plastic handle, I have tried to gather some info on the web to no avail, and am now having to ask you gents again, so please help.

Thanks a lot Dave.

Neil

LN chisels are true socket chisels i.e. the bolster is a simple steel cone which fits over the end of the handle and stays there by friction. I've got a vintage socket chisel by another American maker and my foot had a narrow escape when the blade just fell off the handle without warning one day. I've since made another handle for it and took great care to match the end of the handle to the socket perfectly. So far, so good.

Your Aristocrat chisels are a more sophisticated design with a screw to keep the blade on and avoid the problem of perforated feet! I guess they were a step along the path to chisels with plastic handles moulded on to the tang. They were expensive to produce and eventually got overtaken by the likes of the Stanley 5001.

Your Aristocrat chisels are probably good steel and they're very unusual. Enjoy them!

Regards.

evergreen.

To tell you the truth I have acquired so many marples, sorby, cherries and other chisels over the last month ( mostly from auctions ) that it's gonna take me a while to test 'em all. Should I consider the Aristocrat chisels the 'cream' of my little collection, in which case I will leave 'em at home and not risk some site muppet choppin nail heads off with 'em.
Guess I should try 'em and see which I get on best with, and revere those.

I have some fairly new sorby plastic (unbreakable) mortice chisels, along with some of the orange see thru handle marple bevel edge that I use daily, and need to respect more than I do.

Which brings me to this question -

I need to protect the ends of my chisels, and don't fancy spending thirty quid on a chisel roll, any suggestions please?

Thanks everyone for your help....

Neil

I doubt if you will find anything better than a traditional chisel roll. For site work it's what works best for me. There a re some nice soft tool caddys coming onto the market now which I imagine would have chisel accomodation on them but they are a lot more than the cost of a roll.

Neil

I'd definitely keep those Aristocrat chisels at home! They're so unusual that if they went walkabout, you may never find any more. I agree with Alan that you can't beat a traditional chisel roll like this one:

DSC00189.jpg

I've used this plasticky canvass one for years to keep my favourites in.

Regards.

Evergreen - like the look of those chisels, they look like mine!!!

funnily enough, I think I came across a few more aristocrats today!!

The only problem is that they are all the same bloody size...

Never mind, I think they will be another near freebie, so I guess I shouldn't look a gift horse!

I hear there are some old marples paring chisels there too, which are nice but not so practical for me, so I may let 'em go.

Cheers mate

I like Alan's advice re the tool roll.
But if you want guards for your chisels in the shop, to avoid accidents, here are two suggestions.

1) Don't have them hanging from a rack with the cutting edges exposed; especially if you have to put your hands anywhere near them for other tools.

My bench is against a wall, so I rest my chisels in a rack, on the wall just above the tool well . Just a rebated strip of hardwood, screwed to the wall. The handles are held in 'Terry-clips' of the right size. Also has the advantage that the handles angle out towards me.

2) If you do want guards for your chisels, cut an old plastic container into strips. (Appropriate sizes of course!) Fold the strip over your chisel ends and wrap gaffa-tape around to form a 'pocket'. Presto! Chisel guards as good as the freebies they sometimes give away with woodwork magazines; probably not F&C though, who wouldn't stoop to such tricks just to sell a magazine? Would they? :whistle:

If you want to be posh:

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item.ph ... n/MAR38018

Regards
John :D

alan smith

Can you let me know about these tool-caddies please, not sure what you mean.
I am always on the lookout for tool storage, i have hundreds of tools but only storage for half of 'em.

Cheers mate

Thanks evergreen

Neil

neilyweely":354jbrkb said:
alan smith

Can you let me know about these tool-caddies please, not sure what you mean.
I am always on the lookout for tool storage, i have hundreds of tools but only storage for half of 'em.

Cheers mate

Thanks evergreen

Neil
Neil,
See if you can get hold of a copy of 'The Toolbox Book'. Library should have it.
There's and open-top tool-tote in there, made in the 'Arts and Crafts' style. But the basic idea is simple enough if you didn't want to go to such design lengths.

John

Back