Are you a noisey neighbour?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hopefully not!

Not really done much recently, but try to avoid using powertools unless it is an acceptable time (so after about 10 on weekends) and try to use them in as short a time as possible, so plan cuts/etc so i can cut and be done. Using the extraction hoover (axi one that makes a racket thats a large hoover) is done after, easier in the space to make a mess then hoover the worktop.

the scrollsaw isnt too noisy (have to listen outside now you have brought it up!), the pillar drill again isnt loud and do try to use hand tools, so sand by hand and that sort of thing. smaller tools are used in the outhouse/workshop (1930's semi so got outside buildings) which helps and mitre saw/circular are always outside as no room indoors to use.

rarely use the router but again try to keep that to a minimum.

But we do have chickens at the far end of the garden, they can sometimes make a noise but no worse than a dog (and no cockerels), and grass cutting always in the afternoon.

My workshop is a regular shed and is perhaps 30ft from the neighbors. There is a large hedge so I'm not sure if that helps cut down the noise.

I put my CNC machine inside a large plywood box with a plexiglass front. Stood outside of the shed with it running the pond waterfall drowns out what little noise I can hear. :D I have no hesitation in running it for hours.

Now I'm wondering if I can put a small box around my plunge router with a simple baffle. I nearly always use it for planing small pieces of wood, so it's stationary and attached to a melamine jig on the workbench. Same for the router attached to my router table.

As far as I am concerned I can make as much noise as I like since its my money paying my bills and not my neighbours. I limit it to before 9pm and after 9am and, if asked for a valid reason, I would be more than happy to keep it down or lay off for a day if a neighbour was ill or selling their house or whatever. There's people on my street doing up old cars, building extensions etc.

Providing you arent running a business, your neighbours have zero right to complain about tools approved as being "DIY" or for home use (3 pin plug) providing its indoors and not at midnight. If you live on a street you're going to get a variety of noises - that's the sound of people living their lives - and those who dont like it and want it quiet should pitch a tent in a library.

They dont ask me for permission to let their kids scream - I'd rather listen to a table saw all day than the neighbours kids on that trampoline.

I'm glad I don't live near you. One of my daughters is learning the drums, I paid for it with my money does that mean I can play it as loud as I like when I like?

In Switzerland you're not even allowed to flush the toilet after 10pm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":3kzyf10e said:
I'm glad I don't live near you. One of my daughters is learning the drums, I paid for it with my money does that mean I can play it as loud as I like when I like?

In Switzerland you're not even allowed to flush the toilet after 10pm!

+1

That depends if you're any good or not but if you're paying the mortgage then why not? Do you let your neighbours have a say in how you decorate too?

I do see glynster's point of view actually, although it is a bit sad that sometimes things can be made so binary. Ultimately we are all free to enjoy our properties as we see fit so long as we don't cause nuisance to those around us. Noise nuisance has a clear definition in the EPA so as long as we keep it down to that level (34dbls from inside their house) everything else is a matter of your neighbor requesting you not exercise your rights which, depending upon your relationship with him/her, you may acquiesce to or not.

glynster":1b77a4fj said:
That depends if you're any good or not but if you're paying the mortgage then why not? Do you let your neighbours have a say in how you decorate too?

I'm horrifically bad on the drums - but I am ambitious!

I am paying the mortgage so why not? Well maybe because my neighbours are also paying their mortgages and they don't want to hear my over zealous drumming? Unfortunately sounds doesn't respect property boundaries as its governed by a greater law (Physics). So based on that I try to be considerate. Treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself. I wouldn't want to hear my neighbours cutting up logs with their chainsaw at 10pm at night when my children are in bed so I will not do that to them. Equally we have a house nearby who have some teenagers living there. Occasionally mum and dad go away and the kids have a party. Well that's fine with me also. If it was every weekend I'd have an issue but the odd occasion is fine.

If we were more tolerant in life people would generally get on better with each other and that would be nice.

morfa":2waaa2n2 said:
.................... offer to make something else for them. Might go a long way to stopping any complaints before they start.

Looking at my neighbours, the only useful thing would be a coffin, maybe if I distribute a few flyers they'll keep well away :D

Back