Are Titan Vacuum Cleaners any Good? (to use as dust extract)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitefive

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to pick up a small dust extractor to use solely for a sander,
Saw these scewfix ones for £34.99 seems like a good value, Anyone knows if these little cheap units would be ok for that purpose?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb350v ... 240v/36516
or are there any much much better alternatives for not much more?
Not sure if I want to mess around and buy some used henry type hoover for the same price if this could do the same job.

I just got the 30ltr one, I'm very impressed with it. Only used it on a sander so far but it was excellent - no mess at all in the house. Its worth the little bit extra as its got a power take off plug on top so it starts when you turn your machine on. I also used it to clear up after I'd been doing some masonry drilling over carpet and it did a great job of clearing up. Even gets the big chunks of rubble!

TFrench":25j1trz6 said:
I just got the 30ltr one, I'm very impressed with it. Only used it on a sander so far but it was excellent - no mess at all in the house. Its worth the little bit extra as its got a power take off plug on top so it starts when you turn your machine on. I also used it to clear up after I'd been doing some masonry drilling over carpet and it did a great job of clearing up. Even gets the big chunks of rubble!
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb430v ... 240v/70472

This one? did not knew you can get vacuums with the power take-off for under £100.
How loud is it? at 79.2dB rated seems rather loud.

Thats the one. It's louder than a henry but not offensively loud I'd say. I think the main reason is that it all exhausts through the blower port on the back and isn't baffled. I'm very happy with it though.

TFrench":2grzret8 said:
Thats the one. It's louder than a henry but not offensively loud I'd say. I think the main reason is that it all exhausts through the blower port on the back and isn't baffled. I'm very happy with it though.

Somebody (from the firm that installed our stairlift) used a Titan cleaner to try to clean up after they had finished installation. Unfortunately, the man failed to read the Instructions and used the cleaner without the bag. All the dirt came straight out of the hole at the back!

I know somebody who uses a Titan for dust extraction in his shed. He's fixed a layer of bag across the exhaust tube (with a jubilee clip) to reduce the amount of dust going back into the air.

MC

Well watched some videos and checked all the reviews on screwfix and seems like they are pretty bad quality and lets the dust around and are super loud?
Thinking of adding a bit to the budget and getting a new Henry hoover instead for £92 which I can use as a normal vacuum in house for the carpets as well as the old one is pretty rubbish anyway and was on future to-buy list, so might as well buy it for something else not only dust extraction for sander.

Anyone can confirm that this would be a better choice?

sitefive":2ir3rgaj said:
Well watched some videos and checked all the reviews on screwfix and seems like they are pretty bad quality and lets the dust around and are super loud?

Anyone can confirm that this would be a better choice?

Really? Nearly 300 reviews giving an average of four and a half stars out of five and that's "pretty bad"? I have the basic model and it works great with my table saw and as a general shop vac. Not conducted any quantifiable tests but feels at least as powerful as a Festool vac costing several times as much.

Do the Henry vacuum cleaners have power take-off?? If not, personally I would much rather have a model that does have it, particularly if it's primary use is for dust extraction from an electric sander.

I've got the one with power take off and have found it to be excellent. Some of the negative reviews seemed to stem from from home users who were disappointed that it isn't a dyson. One of them even marked it down because the cable wouldn't unwind perfectly flat! Well guess what? It's not a dyson but it is a very good shop vac. I use it with a my makita ROS, finishing sander and mitre saw and no perceptible dust is released from the port when using a filter bag. The only thing I might change at some point is to swap the hose for a chunkier one with a bigger inlet but even that hasn't really been a problem.

JJ1":b3wtygrn said:
Do the Henry vacuum cleaners have power take-off?? If not, personally I would much rather have a model that does have it, particularly if it's primary use is for dust extraction from an electric sander.
It does not have.. however after all I will try to pick up some used unit first locally for the same price I can get those cheapo titan ones which in the videos looked just terrible :(

What looked so terrible about the Titan unit? As per my post above I've had one for over two years and it has been faultless. Much more suck than the Henry we use in the house, reasonably priced and has power take off. What's not to like?

Somebody on this list (but another thread) recommended the Nilfisk Multi 20T from Maplin.
This machine is also in the Screwfix catalogue - but at a price that's ~£50 higher

I've used it and, so far, have no complaints.

The instructions indicate that it can be used without a bag but I am minded NOT to do so since I'm using it to collect dust rather than anything larger.

The bags are expensive - because they are fabric rather than paper - but I'll try opening the end and resealing by folding and holding closed with steel strip and bulldog clips

I've designed an adaptor to connect the hose to my bandsaw from offcuts of MDF; it's clamped up while the glue was setting overnight and I'll soon discover if my design works.

With seasonal greetings and my very best wishes for a Happy, Healthy, Peaceful, Successful, Prosperous and Stress-free New Year.

MCB

The fabric bags for my Nilfisk 26-21 are only £5.99 for four at screwfix. May be worth seeing if they will fit your multi 20T?

I have a shop Vac from Argos 1500w complete with power take-off and I too have fitted a Hepa fine filter over the exhaust to capture tiny particles instead of re-circulating them in the workshop..... it works well and wonder why they don't fit them as standard?

only got a large and daaaaamn loud Record Power chip extractor for P/T and mitre saw , not going to run it for several hours per day.
Had a look at a henry vacuum today in tesco, seems like a well built unit,came with few hepa filter bags as well.

I did saw that nilfisk Multi20 as well and it looked like an excellent value for money and much better than the henry stuff until I started to read the reviews- seems like the quality of it is just not what you would expect from nilfisk, and even tho it's rated at 65db seems like that's not even the case as most of the reviews seemed to state how loud it is, much louder than others not the other way around.

Back