Are these worktops PRIME quality?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
Ordered a couple of oak worktops - Described as 40mm Stave PRIME quality , in pictures no knots whatsoever, all looking nice.
Today I got them and I kinda feel ripped off as they don't really look Prime to me, feels like they have been made from some scraps and offcuts + there is just pure quality issues with them , also they have 38mm staves instead of 40mm :D

The thing is I haven't bought oak worktops before so not really sure what is acceptable, but I have worked with oak and made lots of things from it, and I know for sure that it doesn't looks prime to me :D
How bad is it? The pics are from the TOP side , the other side is 20x worse -however that won't be seen so that's kinda fine.

Edit: The seller is exchanging them, Fairly sure that there has been some delivery mixup and they have sent me 2 different worktops , only just now realised that the other worktop has 40mm width staves and is of better quality without as much of problems as the one which was knackered from factory and had 38mm stave width. Stuff happens, but seems like the seller came through!

Somehow the seller has become aware of this thread and contacted me personally, wasn't really trying to specially name the seller and cause him any trouble just wanted opinion on what's acceptable for factory-made worktops,removed the ebay link just in case anyway.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Yeah, thats a no.

We got our oak tops from worktop express. Didn't spring for prime though but they were pristine.

3 coats of Osmo 3062 matt and they've not been touched since.

Solid timber worktops are usually categorised either Natural or Prime. The Natural usually tend to have more variation in grain and colour and also more knots etc, whereas Prime are far more consistent in colour and have very few variances.

Either way, the tops the OP is showing are very poor quality and I would have sent them back straight away....!

I've fitted a lot of hardwood worktops over the years and that is by far the worst I've seen, I certainly wouldn't accept it unless extremely cheap as that look like a reject to me.

Call me old fashioned but buying cheap from e bay sight unseen is generally a risk too far.

“There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.”

Can’t comment on the timber spec but the quality is terrible. I bought from worktop express and there were certainly no voids or uneven joins like you are showing. Can’t see from my records if mine are prime or normal, but knowing how much of a skinflint I am I expect they were normal.

0E7894BF-A554-41EF-918E-3FCCD9D924A3.jpeg

F.

Attachments

• 0E7894BF-A554-41EF-918E-3FCCD9D924A3.jpeg
    0E7894BF-A554-41EF-918E-3FCCD9D924A3.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 355
Would be sending them straight back. I do think this is a classic case of if it seems to be good to be true it usually is. The eBay link shows that they are 40mm but when you select the size they do state they are 38mm. That said the 38 mm should be uniform on both sides, looks like it would be a nightmare to level up any joins.

Got mine from worktop express about 6 years ago and they have been great. The ones I bought were full stave rather than just staves and in my opinion was worth the extra money.

They look like Chinese imports to me. (think oakfurnitureland).

Do they look similar to pictures on ebay of the listing?

Not to the standard of Worktop express -which is where I buy for customers projects.

Well The seller is exchanging them, Fairly sure that there has been some delivery mixup and they have sent me 2 different worktops , only just now realised that the other worktop has 40mm width staves and is of better quality without as much of problems as the one which was knackered from factory and had 38mm stave width. Stuff happens, but seems like the seller came through!

Somehow the seller has become aware of this thread and contacted me personally, wasn't really trying to specially name the seller and cause him any trouble just wanted opinion on what's acceptable for factory-made worktops,removed the ebay link just in case anyway.

Got the replacement worktops today, well .. a world of a difference, got something that you can actually call Prime! I think they got upgraded tho ;)
Glad I exchanged them,at least the seller was responsive and did everything to please, can't really ask for more.

That's a good result. Probably just a mistake at the sellers end because they definitely weren't prime!

Hi,
sorry for a late comment, only just read these posts.

Judging from the pictures, this looks very much like IKEA worktops. Which, BTW, used to be 38 mm thick. I am not sure if they still sell this version.

Back