Are these books any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Japanese joinery one, its very good but I don`t think I paid more than a tenner.
The workbench one is good If you are building one.

Ollie

I wouldn't pay full price for any of them.
Always worth having a look though and then selling them on if you don't rate them as keepers.
The workbench book is deeply flawed as he totally omits any mention or detail of the familiar standard UK bench as used everywhere. He has something weird called an "English" bench but I wouldn't take any notice of it if I were you.
The normal UK bench:

bench.png

Last edited:
The cabinetmaking one is good too.

The wood Id one isn't the one I would get the guy on here has written an excellent one I'm told.

Get down to you'r local library. Borrow, read and put back. Secondhand book shops are another good source. Over the years I have read hundreds of woodwork books. Some better than others. Its always good to see what others are doing. A big trap is to be told that so and so is the master and only his way is right. Read as many as you can.
Regards
John

The cabinetmaking one is good too.
+1 it's a great visual book that breaks down many pieces of furniture, and also gives you some useful practical advise such as how to decide the height of tables and chairs, also shows you all the different styles of furniture mostly american styles though but still useful.

I have developed a library of woodturning and carving books over the years. They have been acquired mainly from second hand bookshops and eBay. The most useful ones are on design and shape as I experiment with the artistic side with texture, colour and shape.

Attachments

• B1092603-3E3D-4527-A636-391ECEBDAD89.jpeg
    B1092603-3E3D-4527-A636-391ECEBDAD89.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Have you considered buying used books, I get the majority of mine that way. Try ABE books or WOB. The books won't be 100% perfect, but perfect for in the workshop.

I think a good proportion of woodwork books could be classed as "Coffee Table Books".
The one exception that I definitely know is not, is Modern Practical Joinery by George Ellis. I bought a copy in the mid 80's and it was my first port of call on how to put something together correctly.
It was first printed in 1913?, well before biscuit joints were invented, but still ever so useful when seeking a how to answer. It is well worth getting your hands on one.

Colin

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33469798...1sLJUm2b8aqR+OxOyzWfyyjkZo|tkp:Bk9SR5rwrsq2YQ

I would agree with eribaMotters above. I have two copies of George Ellis's book one a very battered old one and one a more recent reprint. I have a huge library of woodworking books, as I have long held the view that learning just one new technique pays for the book. (well that is my excuse!).

Latest posts

Back