Are Record 311 and 077a compatible?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnFred

Reaction score
Hello,
New member, amateur woodworker from Canada, with a question.

I recently bought a Record 311 for a price I could afford but the US Post Office broke it in transit. Both webs on the main body are snapped off clean. I collected my insurance money which almost covered my cost and started to look for another. I then noticed that the 077a body looks very much like the 311's rear casting and thought that this might be a cheaper alternative.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge that these two planes can be combined into one working plane?

Thanks,
John

No, their is a slight difference in the shape of the top leaving a step down from the toe to body, however the sole is correct.

You could sell the blade, clamp and toes/shims on eBay and make a nice amount of cash.

Or have the body brazed back together and have a working plane that wouldn't win a beauty contest.

Pete

Sorry to hear about that break in transit! Gotta hate that.

You may be able to glue the 311 back together, cast iron can glue very well with the right epoxy, and you can drill and insert pins (clipped nails will work well) for added strength if you want.

Are Faithfull planes available over there? They do a copy of the 311, positive review of it from a few years ago here:
faithfull-record-311-copy-t66659-15.html

Thanks Pete.

So are saying that when the 311 nose is attached to the 077 that the top doesn't line up but the sole does? In essence, that would give me "a working plane that wouldn't win a beauty contest". That works for me.

I've had 2 planes brazed and neither lasted long.

John.

Hi ED65,

Faithfull planes are not available here. I'll look into the epoxy. Do you have any recommendations to the right glue? I see getting the pins to line up to be an aggravating job.

Thanks,
John

JohnFred":2f04js3w said:
Thanks Pete.

So are saying that when the 311 nose is attached to the 077 that the top doesn't line up but the sole does? In essence, that would give me "a working plane that wouldn't win a beauty contest". That works for me.

I've had 2 planes brazed and neither lasted long.

John.

The one I saw the sole looked o/k I didn't get to use it, I guess some lapping would be good thing just to make sure it was perfect.

Pete

JohnFred":219kdu49 said:
Do you have any recommendations to the right glue?
Many people swear by J-B Weld for fixing metal. The original J-B Weld is a steel-reinforced epoxy (epoxy with steel dust mixed into it) but all epoxies bond metals well and just a regular one may work as well or better for this joint.

If you want to use a regular clear epoxy a slow-setting one will generally give you a stronger joint than one with a fast set and here joint strength may be critical, so probably best to go with something like 5-hour or 12-hour.

JohnFred":219kdu49 said:
I see getting the pins to line up to be an aggravating job.
I can confirm that it most certainly is! Good news though: you don't have to bother.

You can deliberately drill an oversize hole in one piece (if they're not of equal size do this in the larger piece) to allow easy fitting and let the glue fill the gap. This is one of the great beauties of using epoxy, it's very strong even when bridging gaps.

I've got a Preston 311 and Record 077. I could check compatibility a bit later if you like?

Back