architrave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jar944

Established Member
Reaction score
Made a bit of moulding to finally finish out my kitchen. Somewhat of a traditional design (at least over here)

20221118_122504.jpg
20221118_193357.jpg
20221130_134818.jpg
20221210_231805.jpg
20221210_224848.jpg
20221210_231753.jpg

Your trim you use over there puts us to shame in the uk with our characterless boxes full of mdf mouldings only used to cover things up and not for aesthetics. Did you make it on a spindle or a router table ? I made some built up moulding for my bathroom using Infinity cutters on a router table.

Looking very nice , love the clean lines
Thanks.
Your trim you use over there puts us to shame in the uk with our characterless boxes full of mdf mouldings only used to cover things up and not for aesthetics. Did you make it on a spindle or a router table ? I made some built up moulding for my bathroom using Infinity cutters on a router table.
Well to be fair this is certainly not common. Most tract houses get mdf or finger jointed pine in the cheapest 2.5 or 3.5" "colonial" style
20221212_150205.jpg

As for the moulding I made, it was a combination of spindle moulder and single head moulder/planer. I don't think you have the equivalent over there?

I've had a W&H since 1991 and it is a great machine for moulding. Last year saw a RBI 812 Planer, Moulder on FB Marketplace and jumped on it and got it for $300Cad. Too good a deal to pass up even if I don't really need it. It didn't come with the sanding drum so if you know someone with one I'd kill for the dimensions so I could make one on the metal lathe.

Very nice work by the way.

Pete

Made a bit of moulding to finally finish out my kitchen. Somewhat of a traditional design (at least over here)

View attachment 148960View attachment 148959View attachment 148964View attachment 148961View attachment 148963View attachment 148962
I spent the early part of my architectural career detailing interesting mouldings for historic restoration work in 'The Rocks' Sydney. The older I got the less important restoration work became. Many contemporary architects now insist on flush smooth everything with flush panel pivot secret doors and flush skirtings that almost disappear. Howard - Canberra

I think something in me just died............ :) Each to his own, I suppose.
Lol 😆. Everyone has their own taste. There are people who love minimalism.. I die a little when I see that.

I am curious what you dislike about it?

I spent the early part of my architectural career detailing interesting mouldings for historic restoration work in 'The Rocks' Sydney. The older I got the less important restoration work became. Many contemporary architects now insist on flush smooth everything with flush panel pivot secret doors and flush skirtings that almost disappear. Howard - Canberra

I personally feel most contemporary architecture is trash on a good day. 👍

Lol 😆. Everyone has their own taste. There are people who love minimalism.. I die a little when I see that.

I am curious what you dislike about it?
I remember a friend of mine whose father was a carpenter. He advised his son not to follow his trade, as in the future there would be minimal woodwork in houses. As of yet, this hasn't happened.

What i most dislike about the stick on plastic skirting , is that it looks tacky. And one has to ask if there is any real need for it. It reminds me of an old property I worked on that never had any skirtings, And in the hallway someone had decided to paint one on with black bitumen paint, which even went across the riser of the bottom stair tread. Why?

Nice architrave, by the way

plus he's used/able to buy decent wood........
Nice, crisp n clean.....well done....
Its interesting that Poplar (tulip wood) is considered a low grade species here even for paint grade. People have to give logs away or usually pay to take them to the dump.

I personally feel most contemporary architecture is trash on a good day. 👍
Thanks for the welcome comments about the self adhesive skirting prototype. The skirting was an attempt to investigate a low cost system for the affordable end of the housing industry. It's not a product. It's just an idea. I found a roll of 50mm x 0.7mm PVC strip in a bin of discards at the local hardware store. I also found a roll of 49mm double sided adhesive tape. The near flush skirting was mounted to a trade show display stand for low cost pivot door, also seen by many as trash. My final skirting prototype is likely to be a wood fibre or paper based ribbon which will be both paintable & recyclable with the gypsum plasterboard. I suspect that government housing in the UK is not keeping up with demand. Howard Styles - architect

For me minimalism just looks cold and bland, like living in a box with no character. Decent trim and woodwork adds warmth and style that makes your box different from other peoples boxes but the way modern houses are slung up I can see why people don't want to spend the extra cash, you would not use decent trim in a shed would you !

Agree with @Jar944 's comments on tulip wood, it is a soft hardwood but I believe takes a profile better than redwood and is also more expensive. Maybe the answer is in the fact it is referred to as Tulip wood, do they mean only for decoration / looks or it is only as strong as a tulip.

Agree with @Jar944 's comments on tulip wood, it is a soft hardwood but I believe takes a profile better than redwood and is also more expensive. Maybe the answer is in the fact it is referred to as Tulip wood, do they mean only for decoration / looks or it is only as strong as a tulip.
I'm assuming your last comment was jocularly intended, but botanically tulipwood, aka poplar, plus a bunch of other names, is Liriodendron tulipifera, in the magnolia family. I suspect you're likely to infer, as I did, that the tulipwood moniker is derived from the tree's botanical name rather than its strength characteristics. Of course, I could be wrong and the name tulipwood or tulip poplar isn't at all derived from the tulipifera name. Slainte.

I'm assuming your last comment was jocularly intended, but botanically tulipwood, aka poplar, plus a bunch of other names, is Liriodendron tulipifera, in the magnolia family. I suspect you're likely to infer, as I did, that the tulipwood moniker is derived from the tree's botanical name rather than its strength characteristics. Of course, I could be wrong and the name tulipwood or tulip poplar isn't at all derived from the tulipifera name. Slainte.

I believe the botanical name tulipifera is based on the leaf shape resembling a tulip. The common name could be based on either I suppose.

It also quite varied in density which seems only partially related to growth rate. Some will be as light and soft as balsa, and another board will be as heavy as maple. I think it makes a great millwork material.

For me minimalism just looks cold and bland, like living in a box with no character. Decent trim and woodwork adds warmth and style that makes your box different from other peoples boxes but the way modern houses are slung up I can see why people don't want to spend the extra cash, you would not use decent trim in a shed would you !

I'm not a fan of modernism or minimalism. I don't want to live in a cold sterile environment. To me it all looks like an office kitchen/break room. The crazy thing to me is that the exclusion of all mouldings (skirting, architrave..ect) is more difficult to pull off, is harder to change/ fix later and just (in my opinion) looks bad. It also costs considerably more.

I believe the botanical name tulipifera is based on the leaf shape resembling a tulip. The common name could be based on either I suppose.
Of course, you're almost certainly right. The tulipifera name probably derives from the tulip like leaf shape, as you say, hence the common names of tulip wood or tulip poplar.

I meant to say, but forgot, a cleanly executed job with the architrave by the way. I was also impressed with the extent and neatness of the kitchen build you illustrated in another thread.

I think my only aesthetic ho-hum (code for not keen) is illustrated in the fifth picture down in your opening post in this thread where bricks peek through what I think is some sort of white plaster material. It doesn't work for me because it's neither an interesting all characterful brick, nor an all plaster finish, which could be either smooth or textured. In the end though, that's just my opinion and reflects my personal preferences or prejudices. And my preferences and prejudices are surely no better than yours, ha, ha. Slainte.

Last edited:
Of course, you're almost certainly right. The tulipifera name probably derives from the tulip like leaf shape, as you say, hence the common names of tulip wood or tulip poplar.

I meant to say, but forgot, a cleanly executed job with the architrave by the way. I was also impressed with the extent and neatness of the kitchen build you illustrated in another thread.

I think my only aesthetic ho-hum (code for not keen) is illustrated in the fifth picture down in your opening post in this thread where bricks peek through what I think is some sort of white plaster material. It doesn't work for me because it's neither interesting all characterful brick, nor an all plaster finish, which could be either smooth or textured. In the end though, that's just my opinion and it no doubt reflects only my personal preferences or prejudices. And my preferences and prejudices and no doubt no better than yours, ha, ha. Slainte.
Not sure what you call the look over there (or if it exists as a faux finish) but here it's called German schmear. It's a heavy parge coat of mortar that is then knocked back to reveal some of the brick work. Ita supposed to mimic old distressed walls. Its certainly not for everyone and for sure the most pinterest "trendy" aspect (for better or worse) in the kitchen
20220611_182827.jpg
20220611_193242.jpg

20220722_184333.jpg

It's basically this look
IMG_9250.jpeg

Not sure what you call the look over there (or if it exists as a faux finish) but here it's called German schmear. It's a heavy parge coat of mortar that is then knocked back to reveal some of the brick work. Ita supposed to mimic old distressed walls. Its certainly not for everyone and for sure the most pinterest "trendy" aspect (for better or worse) in the kitchen
Thanks for the description of the finish. I don't think I've come across that here in the UK, which doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The nearest I can relate to regarding the look are brick walls that have been whitewashed. Through neglect, damp, and time the whitewash tends to degrade and flake off to develop a similar appearance. I tend to associate that type of look with agricultural buildings related to things like dairies and to old residential cottages, perhaps on the walls of attached washhouses, entry lobbies, and so on. Slainte.

Back