Architrave and Skirting suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodenstx

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a super spangly supplier of architrave and skirting above and beyond the standard google results?

We are redecorating and the terrible paint on the woodwork makes for a long and slow removal process, so it looks easier/faster/tidier to simply replace all the woodwork in the area being decorated :lol:
The idea is to replace with slightly wider/taller of each so that any edge or damage is covered up, also as a bonus I'll all some wiring for door sensors and other pointless home automation bits :)

I have just refurbished an old house.
All the skirting was rotten so I had over 100 metres to replace :lol:

I ended up using Wickes MDF and a very similar profile to the 150 year old wood it replaced.
IMHO if you are going to paint, MDF is cheaper /easier no brainer.
Walls are not flat and MDF can follow the wall better too.

Wickes were cheap and because I needed other stuff, free delivery.
If you look on their website you can get longer runs (not available instore).
I bought a mix of the two lengths as it minimised joints

if you go to the timber yard you will have a few patterns/styles to pick from,

i get my mdf in 5.4m lengths

cheers
Dont need much skirting, but will need 5 doors worth of architrave for now (I'd never realised how easy it is to remove :lol: )
Does the MDF moulding have a smooth surface to paint, or is it something that needs lost of prep, so pre primed makes sense?

One tip from the last budget hotel I stayed in - don't use MDF skirting where anyone might leave the floor wet, such as in a bathroom, unless you like the effect when water gets under the bottom edge and swells it into bulges and lumps!

Dresser Mouldings - you won't look back.

In fact, I expect this place has been recommended a number of times in the past here - I'm relatively new. I get all my mouldings from them, cheap as can be, masses of choice, real wood and they don't mess you about on delivery cost.

http://www.dressermouldings.com/

speed":36zocenz said:
if you go to the timber yard you will have a few patterns/styles to pick from,

i get my mdf in 5.4m lengths

Unless you have a trade account, big timber yards tend to screw you.
My friendly independant timber yard boss advised me to use Wickes for this as he could not get near their prices.
He did however supply me door frame kits at less than half wickes prices.

MDF comes pre prepped just needed 2 undercoats & top coat
I guess bare MDF would drink paint

Back