April Challenge - THE RESULTS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are the results of the April Woodturning Challenge - an Easter Egg

Judge's Scores - Results and comments by Richard Findley

Not as easy to judge as I thought it'd be! Some really good entries. It does show though how difficult these 'pure' shapes are to make, and to make well!

I decided my main judging criteria would be on the egg form, so I picked out the 5 best eggs first, from them I looked at things like the work involved, quality of finish etc etc

1st - Dennisk - really good shaped egg, but excellent segmenting work. Although segmenting isn't my thing, I can see good segmenting when it's put in front of me. Good use of woods/colours too. Well done!

2nd - SheptonPhil - another good egg, really good smooth finish and an attractive end result on a timber that can be challenging to say the least!

3rd - swb58 - simple but flawless. What more can I say?!

4th - winemaker - lovely little egg, a good gloss finish too. Wood is deff innately oak though and not mahogany - I haven't deducted any points for getting that wrong though!

5th - Vic Perrin - another well turned and finished egg. Particularly well done for avoiding heat shakes which yew is prone to

Everyone else gets 1 point for entering.

Well done all who entered.

Entrants' Scores - by me based on entrants' PMs of choices

All but one of the entrants provided me with their choices of the top three - many thanks to all who did so.

Dennisk was the runaway winner in the opinions of his fellow entrants as well as the judge.

1st place: Dennisk - 5 points =D> =D>
Joint 2nd place: Sheptonphil and woodmonkey - 4 points each
4th place: swb58 - 2 points
5th place: Random Orbital Bob - 1 point

Overall scores

The Winner - voted by both judge and entrants, scoring 15 points and winner of this month's plaque is Dennisk - congratulations and well deserved. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Second place for both judge and entrants, scoring 12 points - Sheptonphil

Third place with 8 points - swb58

Fourth place with 5 points - woodmonkey

Fifth place with 4 points - winemaker

Great selection of entries this month. Well done to everyone who entered.

Overall Table

Name Score to Date
Dennisk 33
Sheptonphil 29
nev 24
heatherw 18
Dalboy 16
Random Orbital Bob 15
tpot 14
sammo 11
woodmonkey 10
KimG 9
swb58 8
procell 7
winemaker 7
Soylent1 5
NickWelford 3
Tazmaniandevil 2
Vic Perrin 2
wybrook 2
Grahamshed 1
gregmcateer 1
jethro 1
Melinda_dd 1

I'll take second to Dennisk anytime. A great selection of timbers, and a subject surprisingly difficult to get the right curves to look right. Great to see so many entries as well, well done to all.

Thanks to mike for the efficiency of scoring and Richard for the Judging.

Onwards and upwards for May.

Phil

Wow, again. Thanks to all involved, there were some great entries this month. I especially liked Shepton Phil's and swb58's eggs. I have a couple of those nasty dusty banksia nuts so I guess I will have to bring them out some time. Once again many definitions of a simple object. I am awaiting next months pieces, and wondering how many will be be built up, or perhaps multi piece. Keep on supporting this, it only increases everyones skills. As Nev has made clear in the past, a few of the pieces entered by me have been drek awful, but still entered. Its the only way to improve, to set your work up against someone elses and learn and evolve. Thanks again. dk

some lovely work in the competition, well done people. love the timbers in the winner, what is the outside one?

when results are posted can the entry post be linked in it? or at least bumped?

nathan

Well done Dennisk the time and effort you must have put in to produce such a beautiful piece of work.
Every egg entered had it's own unique look.

Regards

Vic

My thanks to Richard and Mike for their valuable work. I really wouldn't have wanted to judge that lot.
Congrats to all the placed entries, all were great and Dennisk was a very worthy winner.
I really enjoyed the challenge and learning experience.

Cor blimey, that's a surprise!! Thanks to everyone who supported my entry.

It's fascinating how diverse the contenders were for the competition, I've a feeling that entries for this months challenge are going to be even more interesting and wide-ranging.

nathandavies":wne78ei7 said:

nathan
I have only just noticed but each of the winners names is a link to their entry.
I like that.

Grahamshed":144v5lgh said:
nathandavies":144v5lgh said:

nathan
I have only just noticed but each of the winners names is a link to their entry.
I like that.

my bad. my apologies, I trawelled through the pages to find the entries

nathan

Well done to all =D> and to a well deserved winner =D> =D> =D> A big thank you to Richard and Mike for there time and Comments =D> =D> =D>

Some excellent stuff in this month, well done to all, Dennis in particular, a superb piece. I did particularly like ROB's too, an interesting variation and a lovely bit of wood, excellently finished.

I like that.

Not on my browser :cry: ??

EDIT. Sorry, I was looking in the wrong place . . . . . . . :oops:

Most kind Kim :)

Graham's impressed me the most because apart from the fact it was a lovely shape, his vision challenges must make things we take for granted significantly more difficult to accomplish. You can't keep a good man down! Well done Gray :)

Well done to all that entered and congratulations to all those the managed to get in the top scoring bracket. =D> =D> =D>
I for one would not have wanted to judge that one.

Who was it said that we learn. I started near the top and am working my way down. :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I am enjoying every minute by the way, well on to the next one

Well done everyone. Some really outstanding entries. It was a very good challenge and taught me a lot.
It has also given me ideas of other things to try. I must remember to do other things while thinking what to do for the challenge though or I will only be making one thing a month soon.lol

Hmmm!

Wouldn't ROB's entry be better classed as a finial rather than an egg?

Just my opinion - nice wood, turning and finish but .........

Regards Mick

Back