Apple Leopard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be updating to Leopard when it is released?

• Yes - within a month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - within three months

• Yes - but only after it's settled down and any obvious bugs fixed

• Probably not - I'm happy with Tiger

• Total voters

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
OK - not wishing to alienate all those Mac users out there :wink: I was wondering what the take up for Leopard might be? So here's a poll and hopefully I've catered for most options this time :?

Roger,
if it ain't broke why fix it? I'm happy with Tiger and I'd hate to have to change the avatar :lol:

Andy

I'll be changing over on release day. Their OS's espeically the OS X range never have any major issues on release, this is because developers do their job and test the thing before it's release, I've upgraded on release day every day since it was released and have never been disapointed.

If there are any issues, this get sorted straight away on the updates anyway so no worries :) I'm very excited, but then i'm a mac nerd.

Alf,
Leopard is a big cat with spots :lol:

have a look around here http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html

FWIW I can't see the point of Vista either W2000 does all I need.

It is not even being cynical to suggest that software companies and hardware companies would go bust very quickly without the constant upgrade to operating systems.

Until there is something that I want to do that I can't do with what I've got, my money will be spent elsewhere.

Andy

Tony":21qo5vkf said:
ByronBlack":21qo5vkf said:
If there are any issues, this get sorted straight away on the updates anyway

So no differnet to Windows then

Erm, there is a grand-canyon sized differences between the development of an operating system by Microsoft and Apple, the 'issues' you get with a windows OS are criticial security flaws, hardware incompatibility issues, and even some instances of missing critical files, Vista has been delayed for nearly 5 years because of these, and even now it's not stable and most businessses are staying with XP SP2.

Apple's 'issues' tend to be of a very small scale, because the hardware is developed in-house with the software, you get a seamless integration, very very tight security (as the os's are always built on the same secure unix kernal) and each revision tends to actually work better on older machines and quite often requires less resources as they refine it.

Whereas each iteration of windows requiries yet more and more ram, graphics cards, bigger hardrives etc etc etc.. You can run OS X Tiger comfortably on a Mac G4 that was released upwards of 10 years ago, you cannot do this with a windows OS

Anyways, this is gone down the route I always stop myself going down. At the end of the day each to their own!

Where's the "Apple Sucks" Option? :shock: :-# :whistle:

I'm going to duck now :wink:

I wont be bothering to buy the next OSX. I bought the last upgrade and never bothered using any of the features.

I have just ordered a Vista upgrade though - I've been getting a bit sick of my lovely-and-small but hopelessly underpowered Mac Mini. Also, as a Windows type guy that OSX UI has always been a bit clunky and mouse-heavy. Plus, I fancy moving back more to my Windows home PC so I have access to a good range of free software apps.
Oops! wrong thread. :wink:

Roger Sinden":e66d7jw6 said:
That's OK, WiZeR :D

Us Mac owners don't mind a bit of envy :wink:

What over all the lovely PC games that us Windowz bods can run? ;)

Adam

Mac has bootcamp and can run any windows app, so games are no longer an issue. Besides, all the best games are on the Commodore 64 :)

ByronBlack":2r5g4mej said:
Commodore 64 :)

I beg to differ. I think you'll find the Amstrad CPC6128 was the dogs doo-dahs... ah... those were the days...

amstrad_cpc_128.jpg

Adam

The ease of running windows in a virtual machine (Parallels on my Mac) has persuaded me that if for any reason I wanted or needed to run a PC again, I would run it inside a VM. The entire shooting match (OS, apps and data) is then just one big file that can be copied as easily as any other file so that if anything craters, a copy of the file can be used.

Parallels is available for Windows as well as the Mac and at $49.99 is cheap as chips for this kind of insurance. So you can run XP, Vista, Linux etc inside an XP host.

I have several VMs orientated around different major legacy PC things I still use and because they are mostly just one or two apps each with none of the "fluff" that accumulates around the typical single computer with dozens of apps and safeguards, they load very fast and shutdown very fast and never lock up.

I am sure I have read that you cannot Vista in a virtual machine.
Its banned in the licence agreement.

aldel, do you think anyone takes any notice of lisence agreements? You can go onto t'internet this very minute and start downloading a cracked version of vista and be done within the hour.

Back