Anything I can do with this turps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Is this turps any use for anything? It's gone quite thick and gummy. Smells amazing of course but is not a very good solvent for making polish etc.
Before I dispose of it though, can it be used for something?

Attachments

• IMG_20190328_133335.jpg
    IMG_20190328_133335.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 606
It has a use in making certain varnishes. I had a recipe for a propolis violin varnish which needed turpentine that had gone thick and gloopy. I seem to recall it being a cross polymerisation

Put a drop on a glazed surface, underside of a saucer will do if you don't have any loose tiles (v. useful BTW), let it dry naturally and see what you get.

Just in relation to the idea of using thickened turpentine in making varnishes, this would be to make varnish. As in from scratch using raw resins etc. as the other ingredients. In addition to the hassle (and sometimes hazards) of making such varnishes they just aren't that great by modern standards. Now some traditionalists strongly disagree with this, but they're using their own standards for "great" which won't necessarily match yours. I can virtually guarantee that your requirements for a wood finish will be very different to theirs.

Latest posts

Back