Anyone want to do a weight loss challenge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well as I have already said John unless you can show indisputable evidence of Zoe Harcombe not having been awarded a PhD.... I would suggest that you do not add fuel to the fire in ignorance.......;)

Nothing you or anyone else can say can take away her prodigeous Academic achievements and anyone attempting to belittle another persons academic achievements is nothing short of contemptuous in my opinion
I was merely posting a link to a piece by Ben Goldacre, in which he mentions that she claimed to be studying for a PHD, but was apparently not. It was a while ago. She may have more degrees than a hot thermometer by now, I neither know nor care.

Let's be clear - Zoe Harcombe has been proven to have lied that she was studying for a PhD.

https://www.badscience.net/2011/01/how-to-read-a-paper/
Her main source of income is fad diet books.

She is not a respected nutritionist, she is a widely-derided quack and her advice should be disregarded, as should anyone relying on her as an authority on the subject.

Last edited:
Zoe Harcombe does have a PHD which anyone can check that here .

To falsely accuse someone of lying is Libelous

Unless you can provide definitive proof of your accusation .....such as a copy of something that Zoe has either said or written prior to obtaining her PhD in March 2016 I would very strongly suggest that you remove your Defamatory accusation before you find yourself and this Forum facing a very costly and embarrassing Court Action.

Zoe has achieved a BA and MA in Mathematics and Economics and a PhD in Public Health Nutrition and was Vice President for Human Resources for Europe, Middle East and Africa .She has also written many books and published many peer reviewed research papers in numerous leading Medical and Scientific Journals .She is widely recognised as one of the Worlds most distinguished and knowledgeable experts on Public Health and Nutrition and is regularly invited to speak on Health and Nutrition at events around the World.

That incredible achievement is something to admire and respect ........not something to try to belittle or ridicule as you have done... ..............

it just shows every member on this Forum what kind of character you have
https://denversdietdoctor.com/about-zoe-harcombe-phd/
Zoe Harcombe was a major witness in South Africa for professor Tim Noakes when the dietetic society tried to destroy his career for promoting the Bantam diet(Ketogenic) diet to his patients. They lost the case twice as he had all the evidence to prove to worth. Dr Jason Fung promotes fasting which is proven to reduce weight and cure Type 2 diabetes.

Zoe Harcombe does indeed have a PhD (in public health nutrition) now - I have never claimed otherwise. Prior to getting it, she had claimed - and this is well documented, and I have posted links several times - to have been studying for one, when she was not. She is a proven liar about her credentials. I will go back and add the citation to each of my posts where I have pointed this out.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Zoë_Harcombehttp://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2013/01/zoe-harcombe-credentials-ii.html
Here are some more critiques of her nutritional claims:

https://www.wcrf-uk.org/our-blog/is-zoe-harcombes-advice-based-on-solid-scientific-evidence/
I'm going to leave it at this point - Johnny is getting even more personal and insulting than when I first challenged his nonsense (specifically his unfounded and patently ridiculous claim that it is impossible to get all the required nutrients on a vegetarian diet), and I'm happy that I've shown that his advice, and the authority he relies on, are daft. That he's now resorting to actual threats is pathetic and laughable, so I've stuck him on ignore and will bow out of the thread.

Good luck to all of you on your weight loss journeys; stay away from the fad diets and quacks and you've got a much better chance of reaching your goals. :)

Last edited:
It'd be super awesome if you guys didn't get a running diet thread locked up in a way that I open another one and it gets locked up, too.

Think about the outcomes - if you're arguing with someone who thinks you aren't right, and the more you prove things, the more they think you're in the tank for something, what's the likelihood anything happens other than frustration?

It's pretty low.

I've tested this theory too many times before realizing that I was testing it.

Now confident that I have my running mojo back. I'm now mixing it up with hills and towpaths on alternate days. The beer drinking has gone back down to pre-pandemic level. I entered some races the beginning of 2020 which I would normally do the start of each year. Two of them were cancelled for 2020 and 2021 but I'm automatically entered for both of them this year. The first is not until May and is a 10K so I'll be more than ready for that by then. Might find one to run before that. Weight loss is around three kilos so far so still quite a way to go.

It'd be super awesome if you guys didn't get a running diet thread locked up in a way that I open another one and it gets locked up, too.

Think about the outcomes - if you're arguing with someone who thinks you aren't right, and the more you prove things, the more they think you're in the tank for something, what's the likelihood anything happens other than frustration?

It's pretty low.

I've tested this theory too many times before realizing that I was testing it.
Agreed let's keep this to practical weight loss rather than ins and outs of academic diets / qualifications!

well hopefully this thread is now back on track with the initial topic of weight loss.;)

For me the challenge has always been my lifelong addiction to food, especially Carbs . I am blessed/cursed with a heightened sense of taste and smell and have always enjoyed my food immensely .

The first and most important step I have found is to be helpful in losing weight is to remove from the house any foodstuffs that are not real food ie refined, packaged,microwave foods which are always loaded with hidden sugars and contain little in the way of essential minerals and Vitamins I need.....

If it isn't in the house then you can't be tempted to eat it :):)

Last edited:
As DW has asked to keep his thread on topic I’ll not continue down this seemingly pointless rabbit hole,

I am blessed/cursed with a heightened sense of taste and smell and have always enjoyed my food immensely .

I'm the total opposite, take cheese for example, I think of cheese as red or yellow or soft, but it all tastes the same. I can but on weight but I really have to shift to total rubbish for a couple of months.

I'm the total opposite, take cheese for example, I think of cheese as red or yellow or soft, but it all tastes the same. I can but on weight but I really have to shift to total rubbish for a couple of months.
I can't imagine not being able to distinquish the taste and smell of different foods. My Stepson also has minimal taste and smell after falling off a horse during a race 20+ years ago and hitting his head . Apparently his sensitivity could return at any time ....

Looking on the bright side at least you cannot smell dog poo and Farmers muck spreading as keenly as many of the rest of us do ;):LOL:

As DW has asked to keep his thread on topic I’ll not continue down this seemingly pointless rabbit hole,

I think it's actually an interesting topic, and would be even better if put in the controversial topic forum so you could have a more free discussion. but I don't want it to lock my thread and cause a follow-lock to any new thread i create to continue this one.

1 more pound again this week. Maybe that's more realistic than two pounds a week for such a lazy diet.

At the start of this thread you said you think you can lose weight without much exercise. Just my personal opinion, and you will know all this, but I think you should be starting to do a regular exercise routine, not to lose weight, but to lay the foundations for a healthier old age to make sure you are just about half way through your life and not 3/4 through it. Someone else said that exercise is an inefficient way of losing weight, that may be so, but exercise is very very good for you for a host of other reasons. It's good for your heart, circulation, strengthens your joints and really good for your mindset. In all the years I have exercised, in all weather. There has never been a time where I came back feeling worse than when I went out. Excluding picking up injuries, but I am a bit extreme in how I push myself.
I know I am lucky and have thin genes but a couple of years ago, I started putting on a bit of weight. the scale is different, but the fight is the same. I cut out alcohol completely and all the biscuits/snacks I was eating since retiring. That got my weight back to usual.
Get some exercise technology on your self to track what you do, then see how you compare to others. Everyone who exercises can find the level of exercise that suits them. I cycle outdoors and use Strava, which records my all my rides. I can 'compete' against others on segments. It is a huge motivation for me to see how I compare to others of all ages. I don't take it too seriously, but it's great fun.
40lbs by June. You will do that easily just by cutting out the junk, but keep posting your progress (weekly weight loss and total since start) on here for everyone to see. That will put pressure on you to keep it up. Take advantage of the new slim self with more exercise. Good luck!!

At this point, trading "making" time in the shop for an exercise routine isn't something I'll do, but I have started to do bodyweight exercises and light resistance with dumbbells. When I was younger, I did a fair amount of gym time - not excessive, but 3-4 times a week and a 45 minute circuit of freeweights - high weight, low repetition.

I think folks who like to exercise, it's a good complement, but for me (when I was younger and biking a lot, and before that, spending time in the gym with resistance exercise), it wasn't to lose weight (though I didn't gain any, either) - it was because I liked to do it. As I get older, an increase of 1 calorie of exercise seems to come with 2 of appetite.

The 1 pound a week instead of 2 is just due to not being that strict on the diet (as in, there are things that I could eliminate that I've cut back on instead). I'm on the fence about it. a kilo a week instead of a pound is more like 1000 calorie in deficit per day. If you add moderate or heavy exercise, that's a hard deficit to live with and not be zonked (I haven't felt tired or hungry other than passing hunger here or there).

when summer comes around again, I'll probably add more exercise, but not as a rule (just because there will be more opportunity for it). The flexibility and not yet giving up on the strength of not-past youth is something I don't want to leave behind, though - I gather it's not hard to prevent loss of flexbility, but not that easy to get it back if you allow it to happen.

(I view the studies with interest when they talk about exercise, though - everyone wants black and white. For me, exercise works better for maintaining a weight - the appetite increase is ridiculous after the suppressant period wears off. But that's not the case for everyone, and I'm sure for some, it's a benefit - even if it's just an investment that you make that discourages bad eating so as not to 'waste' the exercise effort).

But it's never been very effective by itself in terms of effort in size reduction (diet can be very effective without exercise) and for years was pushed as the way to get fit and lose weight.

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem....-of-health/does-exercise-help-you-lose-weight
https://time.com/6138809/should-you-exercise-to-lose-weight/
(some of the less objective stories try to make claims that it's not associated with weight loss at all, which is a strange thing - the medical and quasi medical articles seem to swing around all over the place. 30 years ago when I was younger "sweating it out" was the only way to go with articles about "burning like a fireplace" and the promise of calories burned while sitting due to a much higher metabolism "as much or more than those burned while exercising").

Now confident that I have my running mojo back. I'm now mixing it up with hills and towpaths on alternate days. The beer drinking has gone back down to pre-pandemic level. I entered some races the beginning of 2020 which I would normally do the start of each year. Two of them were cancelled for 2020 and 2021 but I'm automatically entered for both of them this year. The first is not until May and is a 10K so I'll be more than ready for that by then. Might find one to run before that. Weight loss is around three kilos so far so still quite a way to go.
Did a 19.45 pb for 5k! 2 sec faster than 5 years ago...

Flater course though!!

1644654141934.png

Back