Anyone used a lathe Copying jig??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark.R

Established Member
Reaction score
In the new year, I am hoping to start the scratch build of our new kitchen.
The design we want includes a number of turned pillars on the corners of the island unit and as well as to the sides of the sink and cooker.

To turn these free hand will not only be to time consuming, but to get even a rough similarity with each other is a little tricky.

The main reason I am hoping a jig would be suitable, is for time more than anything. I know Axminster used to sell one, but they no longer do. Also, when our hero- "Norm" from the other side of the pond uses it, it appears relatively easy with good results.

So, have any of you used one? If so, please let me know how it went? Please do not even consider mentioning the "router lathe." They are definitely to time consuming and suitable for light work really.

Also if any of you know where I can get one. I have a large Poolewood lathe which could easily occupy such a bolt-on.

Cheers Chippy`s, would love to hear from you!

Mark.r

Yes, I have, as trying to taper( virtually top to bottom 700mm) 4 legs to the same size proved very difficult for a novice. made a template from ply and added some beads at the correct places and made them all in about 30 to 40 mins I seem to remember. You can draw the template on paper then stick to the ply and cut and sand smooth. Can't remember the make of the copying part, will try to find out.

Thanks Bloonose;

Do you remember where you got yours from. It`s good that you found it helpful to make duplicate legs. Going by the apparent ease Norm seems to have with such a jig, makes me feel this would be ideal for the task I have ahead. Slight problem is, I don't where I can obtain one.

Please update me when you find out more.

Many thanks

Mark.r

Mark, I came across a copying jig many years ago. I'll try and explain how it worked but without a pic it might be difficult - here goes:

Imagine a length of dowel fixed and sitting behind the lathe bed but parallel to it. Attached to this dowel are a number of arms that rise vertically to hight of lathe centres. These arms can move left or right, and rotate forward and back and can be locked. Attached to the top of these arms are "fingers" that can rotate through 360degs.

To use said jig, first turn the item required. Move arms to a position level with a feature ( a bead, step etc). Swing "finger" on to turning and move arm back until "finger" just falls off the turning. Lock arm in this position.

Repeat on all other features.

Place new piece of wood in lathe and turn to a cylinder. Rotate a"finger" on to the wood. Using a parting tool slightly thicker than the width of a "finger" cut until the "finger" falls down. At this point the resultant dia of the slot is the same as on the original turning.

Repeat for all the other "fingers".

Join up to form the copy.

I hope this explanation ok.

You can purchase a good copying attachment here http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page ... e%20copier When I bought mine it was $209, but it is now slightly down in price to $192.99. You`ll have to factor in the shipping cost from the states and the import duty and VAT when it arrives. A minimum lathe center height for this attachment is 6".

LatheDuplicator.jpg

Many thanks again to those that have replied with advice and information.
Would you ( Bob ) be able to say how long ago you bought your coying jig and how much shipping was? I e-mailed a firm in australia last night after Bloonose gave me their e-mail address, to see if they have any UK suppliers. Will wait and see.

I guess I should have posted this request on the wood turners page!

I am hoping someone may have one they no longer require, and they would be willing to sell second hand.

Thanks everyone.

Mark.r

Hi Mark.

As I see it the problem with these cheap copy attachments are that most work on the scraping principal, and consequently the finish usually leaves a lot to be desired. You can then spend hours sanding the item to try and achieve a reasonable surface.

The better attachments use rotary knives, which do leave a better finish, yet they still need a good sanding, no copy attachment leaves as good a surface as a hand turned finish.

Copying hand turning pieces is not that hard if you take your time and approach the work methodically.

Have just rung toolpost, but no joy. They told me to look at Scheppach who he thought are doing such an attachment.

Am now hoping somebody has or knows of someone who has one, and has not used it for a while. If you are out there, drop us a line!

Thanks again for the replies

Mark.r

When I was in my local B&Q today, I noticed they have a complete lathe fitted with a copier for £149.

Goodness only knows what the quality is, but I throw this snippet in for what it's worth...

Gill

Thank you Gill for that about B&Q selling them. I checked with my 2 nearest ones yesterday in response to your update, but down here in West Cornwall, they did not have them. In fact staff did`nt even know what they looked like or that they existed!

I have e-mailed the firm in Australi, but still no reply. Am still working on a blank at the moment to try and obtain one.

Will keep on trying!

Mark.r

Latest posts

Back