Anyone tried the "labour saving arm" clamps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
I have seen these on my Pinterest feed quite a bit. They seem really useful (as do all the things shown in these type of adverts)

https://pin.it/1gEYAKQ

Just wondered if anyone actually has used them to see what the difference between the advertisement and reality!

Seems a handy thing to have in the workshop.

Love to know your thoughts.

dont waste ur money.......
they, well the bigger ones are Ok for help in fitting plaster boards to ceilings when ur on ur own......
but those wobbly things will be a pain.......
as for cupboard fitting, I either use a temp support attacheted to the wall or use a knocked up box and wedges......

wedges are a very underated tool......

dont waste ur money.......
they, well the bigger ones are Ok for help in fitting plaster boards to ceilings when ur on ur own......
but those wobbly things will be a pain.......
as for cupboard fitting, I either use a temp support attacheted to the wall or use a knocked up box and wedges......

wedges are a very underated tool......
Ah, exactly what my gut said. Shame, it looks like it could solve many vertical issues like lifting stuff, but I guess it's not to be.

And I totally agree on the wedges. They go really well with some sour cream 😃

Joking aside, I have been using wedges lots and lots these days where I need to sneak up on a fit or a position and it works amazingly well.

wedges are a very underrated tool......

Wedges are a little challenging if you want to use them for controlled lowering.

They need an additional piece of apparatus if you want to use them for external clamping.

----

The original of the device shown above is the 'Viking clamp'. For the price at which they are sold (circa. £170 each Door Clamps - Clamps - Hand Tools | Axminster Tools), they should do what thay say on the tin. The extensions for use under a kitchen wall cabinet are an extra item and are 2/3 the price of the clamp itself.

The other ones you see are knock-offs of the original. I have no doubt that it would be possible to obtain better value for money than the originals (e.g. 60% as good for 40% of the price) but it is a gamble. A quick browse of eBay shows one for £7.99 - good luck to you if you buy that and expect it to work as well as the £170 version.

These are slowly working their way up my need to buy list, as I work alone I think they would be really handy. The cost is what has stopped me so far (and really you need 2 of them!) but as said quality doesn't come cheap and I'm sure I would be disappointed with the cheaper versions. I haven't managed to have a play with any yet but I'm sure once I do I will end up buying a couple :rolleyes:

Having fittedd many kitchens, I always use a modified car scissor jack (or two) to lift wall cabinets. Cheap controllable in both directions and fold flat when not needed. Also love the mini-air bags for lifting and positioning, even house doors, windows and machines. I have accumulated a vast array of cramps/clamps, I have never found a one piece tool that will do everything, despite what you are led to believe.

...what about a so called farm jack .

Operating them is a bit of an art form. You have to keep pressure on the handle for the ratchet pawls to operate correctly. You have to pick your moment to let go of the handle. Like so may things, they are dangerous if you do not know how to operate them.

Having fittedd many kitchens, I always use a modified car scissor jack (or two) to lift wall cabinets. Cheap controllable in both directions and fold flat when not needed. Also love the mini-air bags for lifting and positioning, even house doors, windows and machines. I have accumulated a vast array of cramps/clamps, I have never found a one piece tool that will do everything, despite what you are led to believe.
I also use scissor jacks(I'm lucky enough to have three), a couple of mini air bags, and some of my larger Irwin quick clamps can be used in spreader mode. My local car breaker yard sells scissor jacks for £5 each, which is pretty good value for money, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back