Anyone tried the Crown revolution hollowing gouge!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
Wondered if anyone has tried this gouge at all. I bought one a while ago and used it properly (?) for the first time at the weekend to hollow out a fairly green 6" diameter piece of Ash and didn`t really have much success. I tried all sorts of combinations of lathe speed (200rpm to 500 rpm) and altered the little tapered fitment under the blade but the minute I touched the wood it seemed to throw me all over the place. I did manage to hollow the vase out eventually but the wood put up more of a fight than it should have and it took ages to do. I`m not sure I`ve got the blade set right as the instructions seem a bit vague. I`m sure its me and not the gouge and maybe the wood itself contributed but I`d be interested in what others have found!
Cheers
Steve

Yes just noticed Marks youtube demo of it and I`m convinced now its me and not the gouge as he makes it look a doddle :)
Steve

gasmansteve":1b2ibkkn said:
Yes just noticed Marks youtube demo of it and I`m convinced now its me and not the gouge as he makes it look a doddle :)
Steve

there's a large industry around making things look a doddle :mrgreen:

For what it's worth a pro I was speaking to says the angle on the cut is off and consequently it produces chips not streamers of shavings, which could indicate it's not quite right

How that helps not entirely sure, but I have no personal experience of it.

Allen
I did wonder that but its supposed to be ok with seasoned/unseasoned wood ?

Colin
Was the Pro referring to this particular gouge or this sort of cut in general, I`m not quite sure what you mean? I was getting chips instead of streamers.

Cheers
Steve

gasmansteve":26czqe4y said:
Colin
Was the Pro referring to this particular gouge or this sort of cut in general, I`m not quite sure what you mean? I was getting chips instead of streamers.

Cheers
Steve

He was talking specifically about the crown compared with the rolly Munro and the sorby. He felt that crown was taking features of both and didn't quite get it right

Contact Mark through his website he is very helpful and I am sure he would help you.

john

Latest posts

Back