Anyone made their own chisel roll?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tasky":33r385t5 said:
DigitalM":33r385t5 said:
Are you talking about the sort of places you have to turn up, in person, in the old fashioned way, like on the doorstep, with cash? I don't think I've shopped like that in ages.
Yup.
TBH, it's the only way I'd do it anyway, unless you can find the exact leather you want just from looking at a web photo.
I use JT Bachelor in London, myself.

I just emailed Thomas Ware ( Bristol – http://thomasware.co.uk/ ) who got right back and said they have a small outlet on site for seconds and end of line. I might go down and have a look, they look like the real deal. Hopefully I can afford something!

Tasky":1sm9jpcp said:
Worth noting that, as any biker will tell you, leather is not waterproof. It is a sponge. Any wetness or moisture that gets inside a tool roll will stay there and soak in, unless you have adequate temperatures and air movement. Treat it the same as preventing mildew on an old tent or seldom-used clothing in a wardrobe.

Aha! :idea: Nikwax!

DigitalM":16daugi0 said:
I'm wondering if this is what the 'proving drawer' on the food heating device in the ROOM THAT SHALL NOT BE UNTIDIED is for? No?

Wait, what am I saying, I already got bollocksed for drying my motorbike chain in there.

DigitalM":3rfx6g6c said:
DigitalM":3rfx6g6c said:
I'm wondering if this is what the 'proving drawer' on the food heating device in the ROOM THAT SHALL NOT BE UNTIDIED is for? No?

Wait, what am I saying, I already got bollocksed for drying my motorbike chain in there.

Silly person: you should have let her do it on her own and not interfered.

It always gets me in trouble if I do that ("interfere")..

DigitalM":ncg1hcu5 said:
DigitalM":ncg1hcu5 said:

You shouldn't have been cleaning it in the frying pan, anyway. :D

Eric The Viking":1c1q35hr said:
Tasky":1c1q35hr said:
Worth noting that, as any biker will tell you, leather is not waterproof. It is a sponge. Any wetness or moisture that gets inside a tool roll will stay there and soak in, unless you have adequate temperatures and air movement. Treat it the same as preventing mildew on an old tent or seldom-used clothing in a wardrobe.

Aha! :idea: Nikwax!

I used neatsfoot oil on all my leathers inc. boots for years - it stops the leather drying out and cracking as well as making it more water resistant.

My problem with tool rolls for Chisels is the edges cutting through. The best I did was a heavy canvas roll with a bit of fat rope stitched into the bottoms of the pockets for the sharp bits to rest against. I think that that one lasted 4 or 5 years before it cut through. I gave up and built a dedicated box for my sitework chisel set. The shop chisels live in drawers.

bridger":3da7jl6b said:
My problem with tool rolls for Charles is the edges cutting through. The best I did was a heavy canvas roll with a bit of fat rope stitched into the bottoms of the pockets for the sharp bits to rest against. I think that that one lasted 4 or 5 years before it cut through. I gave up and built a dedicated box for my sitework chisel set. The shop chisels live in drawers.

I like my blades out so i can see them, and put the handles in the pockets. My workshop isn't at home, so I end up carrying chisels about depending if I'm in the workshop or doing DIY. I finish off the odd workshop job back at the house too.

i have 2 bought ones from ebay all leather well made £8.00 delivered and good quality never made any of my tools chisels go rusty as yet and had them 3 years.

I made this a few years ago for my turning tools.
1352716462625ebce638c8e5aa238641.jpg

4312acbe7e5130c31a12d5447d1a8dba.jpg

69b2c69bf8b01e8a81f018468af4cf48.jpg

It took ages to get the edging bits in the right place. If I were to make another I'd try and avoid using that stuff again. Denim on the inside and hessian outside. I use to keep it tied up with some baler cord :lol:
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

DigitalM":hvurbff8 said:
Nice job Coley. I'm guessing no-one makes turning tool length storage, other than the boxes they come in.
Cheers. I looked and looked and looked at the time for something suitable, but as you say could only find normal chisel sized ones. Someday I'll get round to learning how to use them.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back