Anyone know owt about old penknives?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone here know anything about old penknives?

I've got a fairly tatty one with two blades and some rust but I've no idea of it's value (if any).
The handle appears to be some kind of bone and the blades have "John Ives Sheffield" on them.

I would just stick it on the bay, but their policy forbids :roll:
knife2.jpg

knife1.jpg

Attachments

• knife1.jpg
    knife1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,687
  • knife2.jpg
    knife2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1,688
You called ? :lol:

While I may have a few pocket knives knocking around :-" I don't really know much about the older ones unfortunately, but as Rod said post on here http://www.britishblades.com/forums/forum.php and I'm sure someone will give some advice.

Once you have an idea on what they think the value is let me know and I might take it off your hands for some beer tokens, if it's not valuable then it might clean up okay and be a decent user :)

Cheers, Paul

My mother (81) bought me a rather nice Sheffield-made gardener's penknife for my birthday from one of the local garden centres. They were displayed in a locked cabinet, so she had to call an assistant. He duly unlocked, extracted knife, relocked and then said, "I'll just take this to the checkout for you madam. We don't like people walking around with knives." My Mum (81, and somewhat put out by the implied slur on her character) replied, "What on earth do you do if someone buys a chainsaw? Ring the Constabulary?" Embarrassed assistant handed over knife and shuffled off.

I know there's a problem with knife culture amongst some inner city gangs, but why do the law-abiding always end up suffering more than the criminals when the politicians try to do something about it?

I have a tiny Al Mar Gentleman's knife with a 15mm blade which I used to have attached to my key ring. Had it so long I forgot I had it.
Got pulled in by Security at the House of Commons, interrogated and severely told off as it is a lock knife!
The penknife I generally carry has a 70mm blade and is legal but I know which would cause more damage if used in anger?

Rod

Harbo":bjrpx4jx said:
Got pulled in by Security at the House of Commons, interrogated and severely told off as it is a lock knife!

Lock knives are illegal? :shock:

I suddenly feel very rebellious

:twisted:

Harbo":3f6ti1f7 said:
I have a tiny Al Mar Gentleman's knife with a 15mm blade which I used to have attached to my key ring. Had it so long I forgot I had it.
The penknife I generally carry has a 70mm blade and is legal but I know which would cause more damage if used in anger?

Rod

As a youngster one of my prized possessions was a sheath knife and as the years passed better quality ones were acquired as replacements, never wandered anywhere without the thing on my belt, cutting nut sticks, carving them, cutting animal food sacks open, trimming the odd limping sheep’s foot, cutting bale binder twine, paunching the odd rabbit and a thousand an one other 'boy' tasks around the farm, and when my son came along he was given one and taught to use it wisely and sensibly whilst camping etc.
I still have my good old faithful but can't risk having it in the car let alone wear it in public because it would be considered an offensive weapon. What a world we now live in.

It must be over 30 years ago now, but I found a 'penknife' on a camp site here in France long before I ever thought of moving over. It has been lost by me more times than I can remember and I have always said that it cost me nothing, it has served me so very well and if someone else finds it and get anywhere near the service that I have had then good luck to them. It has always turned up in the most unusual way?

When we moved to this house 7 1/2 years back it went AWOL again and after 6 months I had almost forgotten about it. I took a pair of trainer pants out of the cupboard that I had worn several times and it fell out of the pocket. I would swear that it wasn't in there the other times I had worn those pants.

I lost it again just a couple of weeks back. I searched everywhere I could think of. It fell out of a pants pocket I had worn since loosing it again?

When I do eventually loose it, as I must? I just hope that the person who finds it enjoys it as I have and hope to for a long while yet.

I have no idea as to how many bottles of beer and wine I have opened with it, or how mant times I have handed it over the bar in the Bear of Rodborough for my son to open wine bottles when there openers have been lost?

Johnsknife1.jpg

Johnsknife2.jpg

When it decides to move on from me then I wish the new owner good luck with it !!!

DTR":y9oqw4di said:
Harbo":y9oqw4di said:
Lock knives are illegal? :shock:

The law doesn't specifically state they are illegal, but there have been a couple of precedents set where people have been done for carrying one. That's why I regretfully stopped carrying mine and started carrying a standard folder [of similar size], which is more dangerous to me with the potential to occasionally close up on my fingers.

Politicians and judges should go out and get some muck under their nails before they feel they have the right to judge how the rest of us live.

I have since heard from a Dutch guy about my knife. It would appear that it was made in the 1920s, but not too sure, and it was an ad for Grandin Champagne before the Champoo producers threw all their toys out and banned everyone but their clique from calling it that.

BUT, you don't need a corkscrew to open a bottle of bubbly?

As a matter of interest it wouls appear that Champoo was kncked from just South of here, Limoux. They were producing Blanquette de Limoux over 100 years before Don Perrinsomething knicked the idea for further North.

So, if you get the chance to try Blanquette de Limoux give it a try. Unless you are willing to pay a mortgage for a bottle of champoo it is far better quality and about 1/3rd the price.

And the double fermentation was invented by an Englishman Christopher Merret 40yrs before DP claimed he invented Champers.

Rod

Back