Anyone into Snowboarding?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetWayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Subject kinda says it all really !. This is something my youngest seems keen on (he's 11 (ok nearly 12)) and I've looked at and thought Mmmm... We are in Tamworth so have easy access to the Tamworth Snow Dome and have been to watch a few sessions there.

To Be honest - it does look a 'young' sport and I may be the oldest taking the lessons but why not? (do I sound convincing here!!!)?

Anyways - just wondered if any of you all out there have ever thought of or even been snowboarding and could offer up some tips?

Cheers!
Wayne.

Hi Wayne,

I tried it in Squaw Valley 22 years ago, its ok if you don't mind sitting on your a*se in the snow, I did not like the fact of two feet straped to the snowboard and another pain in the a*se when you get to a lift, so I stuck to two planks.

Just give it a go, see how you get on.

The first thing to know is if you are regular or goofy....I'm goofy 8)

Never tried it, always stuck to skiing. Learning process looks quite painful as you do end up on your rear a lot and there also seem to be quite a few faceplants once you get moving. That said if you do have a tumble there's much less chance of knee damage than on skis.

I've seen all ages learn skiing and boarding so my recommendation would be to have a few lessons and see how you get on

I ski and board (a product of having lived in the Alps) and although I love skiing, there is something almost primal about the way you surf down the mountain on a board.

You will spend the first few lessons sitting in the snow and mistakes do tend to be punished with a rather painful bodyslam onto the snow but once it clicks you could go all day without a fall.

I say give it a go - you're never too old to learn something new.

I have done it a few times, have never skiied (sp?) so can't compare, but I didn't have a problem with it. I first went when I was 18 (32 now) and found that so long as you are coordinated enough to skateboard you should be okay.

As Mike said, it takes a couple of hours for it to click (not helped in my case by having Spanish only speaking teachers, and my Spanish sucks!) but once it did click then it was chocks away and I was off piste and all sorts.

I would give it a go, it's great fun. And as someone else said, work out whether you are 'regular' or 'goofy' before you go so you don't look like a t!t when they ask you.

This is all around which foot you want in front taking the weight as you go downhill, regular is more comfortable with your left foot forwards, goofy the right foot. They reckon most right footed people are regular as they like to steer with that foot, but I felt more comfortable goofy, taking the weight on my right and steering with the left..

Way to test is to stand feet shoulder width apart and fall forwards, whichever foot naturally comes out will tell you. Try it with both feet and see, but I would suggest that because you are putting most weight on the front foot, that you have your strongest there.

HTH

Cheers

Mark

I have done both I am better at skiing as I have done more of it but I prefer boarding because the boots are much more comfortable to walk around in :lol:

Skiing is the best holiday you will ever have great fun no matter what age you are.

chippy1970":2z6zbx04 said:
Skiing is the best holiday you will ever have great fun no matter what age you are.
Apart from for my mate, who got back last week after completing a black run and getting past the nasty bits, coasting along waiting for SWMBO and caught a ski tip, dug in and his knee popped!

Ruptured his Posterior Cruciate and detatched his medial ligament :roll:

Operation and months of physio on the cards....

Cheers

Mark

PS On the bright side, it wasn't me getting injured this time, which is the normal state of affairs. :wink:

Guys,
Thank you all for your feedback on this... We've been studying the snowboarders down at 'the dome' and he still seems up for it. I've been checking out youtube videos and getting used to 'the lingo'. Doing kickers and 'Ollies' :)

Dunno if I'm up for leaping off mountain tops - but you never know maybe one day :))))))

I'll have a look round at some of the sites that have been suggested too - so again thanks on that.

I did a quick search the other day for skiing holidays and into March I think seems to be 'off peak' time (even for places that are normally snow covered) and you can get £600 savings.

Watching some of the young skiers - they must be 8 /9 - throwing themselves down the hill - no fear at that age! There was even a 'more mature' couple there learning to ski - so it cant be bad :))

Anyways - more as it happens :)

Off hunting for knee pads me thinks :)
Wayne.

I would try on water first,more forgiving ,once learned on water, then move up to snow...water softer then ice and less trees :D

Back