Bandsaw tension meter build questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondered why you want a bandsaw tension meter?
Are you doing some sort of esoteric research?
What are you hoping to discover?

Yay getting the hang of this multi quote function

Here's a simple tension "meter":
Shopmade Tension Gauge - FineWoodworking. No need to be a subscriber for this one.

Also posts here have shown a digital caliper (£10 Lidl) jigged up to do the same job. It's held to the blade with tiny 25mm G clamps. It's what I use. Search posts for bandsaw tension.

"Tension" is actually measured as pounds per sq. inch of blade cross section. The article above explains it well. You will be measuring blade stretch over a few inches (USA article) from 1 to maybe 6 thousandths of an inch, and a simple multiplication gives the tension is psi. We set for about 15,000 psi on a 1" blade for deep resawing, and maybe half that for more everyday sawing with 3/4" blades or less.
I have seen this Ivan, but was concerned about how much grip a lot of these clamped devices have.
I wonder if a spoke tension meter could be adapted to measure bandsaw blades 🤔

Spokes are probably a higher tension but both spokes and bandsaw blades are in tension between two points

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/ztto-professional-spoke-tension-meter/
Pete's suggestion looks to work on a similar principal to that,
If it's quite a bit different, then likely much out of my league in regards to brain capacity, and since it may not be done before, I'm not keen on finding out why.

Just wondered why you want a bandsaw tension meter?
Are you doing some sort of esoteric research?
What are you hoping to discover?
I've explained above, as I wouldn't say that my blades were loose.
So I guess you are correct on the esoteric research bit.

Better results is what I'm after.
Basically trying to do away without any guides doing any job apart from being a safety aspect, and maybe a kiss of a thrust occasionally would be alright
the odd time 😉

As things stand it isn't the case, and I am as keen as any bandsaw fanatic to find out why my machine isn't performing as it should.
There seems to be a lot of folks who've never had to delve into these things,
and a lot of odd things in regards to bandsaws to me.

Why bandsaws, well maybe Van Huskey can explain 😀

"Why? I don't know it is kinda hard to explain but it has to do with the fact that they are sorta like dogs. Each has its own personality, not just every make and model but each individual saw but when you get to know them they become like an old pal. When you first adopt them they can be kind of angry and/or scared but with a little love they begin to open up and do what you ask of them. They are also quite versatile and make the best case to have multiples in the shop. I guess I just like the fact they are so simple but yet confound when it comes to setting them up."

Back