anyone had any experience with red grandis?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbonham

Reaction score
First of all i would just like to say hello,

i own a small to medium sized window manufacturing company and have been having a few issues with timber.

just wondered if anyone had any experience with red grandis? The cost of the timber is fairly agreeable and the laminate comes at the right moisture content so there is no need to store in house while the right moisture % is reached which is also very helpful.

i have heard through the grape vine that red grandis can suffer from fluff and that it is very hard to get a good finish straight off the machines.

Also i currently use sapele as our hardwood and use the teknos paint system i seem to have to put 2 coats of primer on to stop the stain bleeding through, do you need to do this with red grandis?

i get the feeling this forum is for the more bespoke smaller woodworker....i did use to be one but we have grown quite quickly in the last two years so forgive me if these questions aren't suitable for this forum, i haven't had much luck finding any people on the internet with my set of problems.

thanks in advance

Ben

Got some from Travis Perkins last weekend
I've just finished making a new frame for an existing window that had rotted out and
I'll be buggered if i can tell the difference between this and the Meranti that i have bought and used in the past..

It machined up exactly the same and was still " as soft and splintery" a hard wood if that makes sense

Roger

Back