Anyone ever linked 2 chip style HPLV extractors together?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MattRoberts":3q78pki1 said:
Depends what your definition of compact is. I have a single garage, so I bought a 2hp extractor and built a thien baffle. It's pretty compact considering the power.

7b42016ca244d16b55dd7254b3127f49.jpg
That looks really good. I've got a similar style of motor + impeller, but eject the exhaust outside into a hopper (no filters). I have wanted to build a Thien or cyclonic separator but have never got round to it.

My only concern with your setup would be the filter on the exhaust - I suspect that's not enough surface area (it'll be restricting the airflow). Could you use some 6" hose to run the exhaust outside (with no filter)?

giantbeat":3q78pki1 said:
i had not thought of just using a respirator, i just acquired an older axminster air filter, though i original wanted to reduce the amount of dust kicking about the room (the 26" spinning sanding disk kicks it out big time), this might at least be the best option for keeping me safe.

thanks Sploo, looking at my space issue from another angle now.
A big problem with most machines is that, even if you have a capable extractor and good ducting, the design of the machine may still be poor for capturing dust. With my 3hp extractor and large ducting, I can "steal" a chunk of wood from a bench that's a good 7 meters of ducting + 1.5m of 4" hose away from the extractor; but the bandsaw that's connected to that hose will still drop dust onto the floor.

My attitude then is that the extraction is mostly for preventing the worst of the visible dust, and will help me clean up dust and chips afterwards. The respirator protects me when I'm doing anything remotely substantial (because with the best will in the world there will be dangerous fine dust in the air). The air filter then helps to catch the fine dust that would otherwise stay in the air for hours afterwards.

After installing the air filter I did notice a reduction in dust "smell" when I re-enter the shop after a few hours (because you usually kick up the fine dust that's settled).

This page is over 10 years old, but details my solution: http://spikyfish.com/DustExtraction/

If you really want to melt your brain by learning a huge amount about extraction, then there are few better places than: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

thanks guys.. Sploo, i love the system you have built...

YorkshireMartin - i was looking at wall mounted, not checked out the camvac stuff yet, i just saw they do a similar powered small system with a 36L can which could go under my bench. i have no worries bout the hand tools, the vacs do their job its more the machines & downfdraft i want to hook up to extraction.

im currently looking at what i can do outside my booth to see if i can fit something bigger in, i might be able to clear a space down the side of the booth but i'm still limited on height & width, will need to see what i can get that's no more than 63cm wide

giantbeat":3800pqvs said:

YorkshireMartin - i was looking at wall mounted, not checked out the camvac stuff yet, i just saw they do a similar powered small system with a 36L can which could go under my bench. i have no worries bout the hand tools, the vacs do their job its more the machines & downfdraft i want to hook up to extraction.

im currently looking at what i can do outside my booth to see if i can fit something bigger in, i might be able to clear a space down the side of the booth but i'm still limited on height & width, will need to see what i can get that's no more than 63cm wide
Thanks - it was a fair bit of work, but it was done on a budget.

Space is the killer. I'd love to have set up a Pentz style cyclone (even on the outside of my workshop) but the required height just makes it infeasible.

The problem with many (most?) commercial extractors for the home market seems to be that:

• They don't actually provide enough airflow to capture invisible fine dust (the stuff that's really dangerous for your lungs)
  • They have filters that are either too coarse (and thus will simply pump that fine dust all over your workshop), or they have fine filters that clog really quickly, and kill the air flow
  • They use long runs of 4" corrugated hose (which will also kill air flow pretty quickly)

If you can set something up that vents outside (or via a cyclonic or Thien separator running through a good quality large fine filter) then that's a great start. The problem with the latter is that separators rob you of airflow, so usually require a bigger extractor (and often the bigger extractors won't run from a 13 amp socket - I needed to install a 20 amp line for the Fox).

Probably the cheapest solution (especially if you already have a workshop air filter to help clean up the air a bit) would be a Trend Airshield, and use your existing extractors to control visible dust and chips (and generally keep the workshop visibly clean). I like the Trend because it doesn't steam up glasses, and also (unlike a half face mask) stops dust aggravating your eyes (I cut way too much MDF in my youth, and ended up pretty sensitised to dust).

I mounted my workshop air filter such that it - like the extractor - also vents outside. I did think of removing the internal fine filter (just leaving the coarse) but it still seems to blow quite well with both. That works for me because my garage is hole...ier than the Pope (geddit?) so it'll be drawing in fresh air from outside through one of it's many other, errr, "vents". If you had a well built/sealed garage then you might need to install a fresh-air-in vent; otherwise an extractor that's sucking a cubic meter of air a second (and ejecting outside) might not be such a good idea.

sploo":2q4kd4f7 said:
giantbeat":2q4kd4f7 said:

Thanks - it was a fair bit of work, but it was done on a budget.

Space is the killer. I'd love to have set up a Pentz style cyclone (even on the outside of my workshop) but the required height just makes it infeasible.

The problem with many (most?) commercial extractors for the home market seems to be that:

• They don't actually provide enough airflow to capture invisible fine dust (the stuff that's really dangerous for your lungs)
  • They have filters that are either too coarse (and thus will simply pump that fine dust all over your workshop), or they have fine filters that clog really quickly, and kill the air flow
  • They use long runs of 4" corrugated hose (which will also kill air flow pretty quickly)

If you can set something up that vents outside (or via a cyclonic or Thien separator running through a good quality large fine filter) then that's a great start. The problem with the latter is that separators rob you of airflow, so usually require a bigger extractor (and often the bigger extractors won't run from a 13 amp socket - I needed to install a 20 amp line for the Fox).

Probably the cheapest solution (especially if you already have a workshop air filter to help clean up the air a bit) would be a Trend Airshield, and use your existing extractors to control visible dust and chips (and generally keep the workshop visibly clean). I like the Trend because it doesn't steam up glasses, and also (unlike a half face mask) stops dust aggravating your eyes (I cut way too much MDF in my youth, and ended up pretty sensitised to dust).

I mounted my workshop air filter such that it - like the extractor - also vents outside. I did think of removing the internal fine filter (just leaving the coarse) but it still seems to blow quite well with both. That works for me because my garage is hole...ier than the Pope (geddit?) so it'll be drawing in fresh air from outside through one of it's many other, errr, "vents". If you had a well built/sealed garage then you might need to install a fresh-air-in vent; otherwise an extractor that's sucking a cubic meter of air a second (and ejecting outside) might not be such a good idea.

yeah i'm starting to realize the compromises in all the commercial machines, not looked at your other link about extractors yet but i will, i'm struggling with learning right now, i'm still getting my head round the last 6 months project which is building UV cure finishing equipment (lamp booth & roller coater machine) my thoughts only turned to extraction as i picked the bobbin sander up by chance (been after one for years) & after a few hours work on that & the sanding disk my workshop looked like the Sahara.... all my equipment is pretty specifically modified to work on tubes of wood

the workshop is a good size but most of it used for other process & assembly of the products (hence trying to keep the mess isolated) currently, but i dont think venting to the outside is an option, my landloard might not be too happy, its on old building & could probably do with not having anything else removed from it, its got more tie irons than i have bones. (front is a chapel dating from 1860, the back was built late 1800 very early 1900's when it was extended to the town sunday school) the walls are a good 2 - 3 foot thick in places which is one issue, the other being there are house gardens & school play areas starting about 8 foot from building.

im leaning towards getting the tend mask anyway as im presuming i could also use it when powder coating (another thing i have to do) , i wonder how well it performs for the bearded person? great news about the glasses thats a big help, i need my peepers working.

i will post some pics of my workshop later, its going through some dramatic changes right now but might be of interest to some when its done, cant have been very many small drum factories posted on here.

giantbeat":1inihwlc said:
im leaning towards getting the tend mask anyway as im presuming i could also use it when powder coating (another thing i have to do) , i wonder how well it performs for the bearded person? great news about the glasses thats a big help, i need my peepers working.

i will post some pics of my workshop later, its going through some dramatic changes right now but might be of interest to some when its done, cant have been very many small drum factories posted on here.
I'm told the Trend is OK for beards too. As you can't vent outside, I'd suggest the Trend is probably your best option then: consider your extraction as good for visible dust and chips, don't consider the air safe when sanding (thus using the Trend) and finally the air filter to try to prevent fine dust building up over time.

Pentz's site is well worth your time - but there's a lot of information to read.

I'm not sure about powder coating with the Trend, but they do have the filtering details (the filtering class) on their website so you could check if it's rated for that task.

giantbeat":3ss7cipn said:

The Camvacs, even the one I mentioned, are light enough to move about and don't need to be permanently mounted on the wall. You can actually floor stand them, as I do sometimes. You can fashion a bracket and then simply lift it on and off if you so desire. The height makes it much easier to change the bags etc. That might be your answer if you can figure a way to run the ducting so it's out of your way, but there are plenty of options available for duct work and it need not cost the earth.

Yandles have a good selection.

Back