Anyone else suffer from Planeitus?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroppyBoy1798

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm becoming worried and they say there is great comfort in knowing that you are not alone when you sre struck down with an affliction.

My problem is that, well......

I cant stop planing!! I plane when I shouldnt be planing, at innapropriate times, in the early hours of the morning, when I should be doing something else, I just cant seem to stop! =P~

Example, I run up to the workshop tonight to lock up, a two minute job, I come down half an hour later after needlessly planing a piece of pine down to a bunch of shavings for no apparent reason and its not the first time. I find myself wondering about the workshop at times just looking for scraps that I can plane simply for the sake of planing!!!

I dont know what it is, the satisfying feel of a razor sharp blade? The warm fuzzy feeling that I get when I know I can actually succesfully plane wood after years of messing about with rubbish planes, the sight of beautiful wafer thin lenghts of wood........Is there any other simple, as satisfying, workshop task that you can do??

Tell me I'm not alone in this, I'm worried and I havent even got top end planes, just Records and Stanleys!! Imagine if I had a Clifton or Lie Nielson!!!!!!!!!!!! =P~ =P~

:mrgreen:

Hi,

I thought I was the only one :wink: :D :wink:

Pete

Planeitis? That would mean an inflammation of you plane. Perhaps rust?

Planeaphillia would be a more correct term :)

I truly know the feeling, but let me warn you - don't look at the Sauer&Steiner website, nor that of Holtey ;)

Adam

Wait until you discover the joys of using a drawknife. It's quite possible that it will be the end of your workshop. I suppose it's one form of a cure. . . until you cast a mischievous eye on the house.

I think "planeosis" might best describe it, but at leat it is better than plnaeomania whiich involves the obsessive collection of planes, although one can lead to the other. The most advanced and saddest stage of planeomania is characterised by the construction (or in the most extreme cases, purchase) of internally lit glass display cabinets that allow the sufferer to slaver over his collection without actually touching them or worst of all dripping corrosive saliver on them.

Your affliction is not serious, although your marriage may suffer, and the product of your labours is at least useful for lighting fires.

Jim

My particular manifestation of this condition is in judging my day by how many different planes I have used. I go in from school and maybe tell the excited audience that I have had a good day, a 6 plane day, or maybe a bad 1 plane day. They are always rivetted by the news.

Today I am knocking up picture frames and so far its a 4 plane day; a mitre, a 5 1/2, a small shoulder and a low angle block. Not bad and they'll be so excited when I tell them at home.
Simon

Kalimna":4uz771xw said:
Planeaphillia would be a more correct term :)

Adam
I don't think that's the correct term either. What you describe is an unhealthy affliction (or possibly addiction) to Phillyplanes :lol: - Rob

Is planing on your lap whilst watching television a more terminal strain of the disease?

If you make a leather pouch for your lap so you can do so without upsetting "her indoors"...and if you miss it occasionally and she Hoovers it up when you go to work really that bad.

Is boxwood the best scrap to do this with?

HELP!!!!! :mrgreen:

Jim

Affliction?
Suffering?
Disease?

What do you all mean?

It's perfectly normal!!

I got plano-sinovitis, a cross between Tennis elbow and Plantar Fasciitis ---
In short, my elbows ache and my heel has a spur! Too much woodwork, I 'd say, but it manifested itself in my knees.

:D

John

I have just dragged myself away from the Sauer and Steiner site. Every time you click it opens up another page. Even the talk on cameras was interesting.

Yes I understand! What have i got my self into...

Ever since i found this record No4, which i bought for just £4 last week, I can't stop either. I used to just put up with the crappy performance of our clapped out HC260 planner/thicknesser never knowing the satisfaction and superior results of hand planning wood till it's flat.
If i can only find a market for all these shavings i'll be a happy man.

Rabbits....find someone with rabbits....

They are interesting planes too!....ooops...oh no....Planobrainoassociationitis.....no....not this young surely..... :mrgreen:

Jim

Plane Brain! Excellent! What do you know about my blade? (see my first post eva)

I used to go out on Fridays now i surf the web for tools and chat about planes... Wonderful marvellous planes that slice wood so thin you can see through it!

He's turning ops too late

Jesus guys you dont know how good it is to be in the knowledge that I'm not alone in this terrible affliction! :twisted: I feel a little more, you know, 'normal', but in a strange way! :lol:

Its good stove fodder indeed so I guess its not all in vain, now, if you'll excuse me I can hear my No5 calling to me 'come play with meeeee' it says.........your planes talk to you too, right?? :|

jimi43" Coat? :oops: Jim[/quote said:
Definitely! :D

Personally I'm surprised that this is not more common. It was certailnly my reaction when I first reached the point of properly tuned handplane; suddenly everything started looking marginally too thick, roughly finished and not quite in line with its opposite face.

Back