Anyone done much servicing on a Perform CCL?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbitpoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Yet again mine has gone wrong. Yes its out of warranty.

Current problem is that I can get the full range of speeds from it. It wont budge below half speed and when I push it towards top speed the belt just slips and wont get any grip. It tends to slip quite a lot when turning, too. I have replaced the belt with a new one but it does not seem to have changed anything. Any ideas (apart from get a new lathe!)

I must admit my first lateh was a Perform and though it was great to get started with I knackered the thing. I suspect that it just isn't ma enough for any off centre or heavy work. Is the belt actually loose or is it just slipping when in use?

pete

I take it you have not subjected the reeves drive to regular lubrication and cleaning.

When the belt is removed does the Motor Pulley close up until the centre boss es are touching/ If not check that the motor shaft is greased (via grease nipple in end) and that the INNER HALF of the pulley is located correctly and the grub screw/s are tight.

On the TOP SHAFT, are all grub screws and cotter pins in place? This includes operating mechanism, Lubricate Upper pulley and shaft with Dry PTFE Lubricant.

Pete (Bodrighy
) has rebuilt the operating lever assembly when his failed/fell apart.

Edit: He types faster than me.

Yep done all that.

The belt still seems loose to me. Maybe I will try to find a very slightly smaller one in Halfords.....

I've had similar problems oin my Nu-tool version. Fix is to remove the cone pullies, clean the shafts of oil & dust, lightly lube and then put it back together. Hardest part is compressing the spring to get it back together :wink:

There is actually a grease point at the end of one of the shafts but like me I doubt you have ever greased it

Jason

wabbitpoo":g1f4xffu said:
.......Current problem is that I can get the full range of speeds from it. It wont budge below half speed

This does not compute with me, did you intend to say Can't, and do you mean that the front leaver operating mechanism will not move to close the top pulley or that it does so but the belt is so loose it will not force the motor pulley apart.

Have you investigated the motor fixing? can you adjust it to increase the pulley centre distances.

Sorry I did mean i CANT get the full range of motion on the lever! :oops:

I have tried to get the pullies off but even after removing the clips and the grub screws I just cant slide them off the shaft. Maybe thats the problem!

I have greased and sprayed as the "manual" dictates.

The first time it happened to me I had to use a bearing puller to shift the pullies they were that gummed up. Try soaking overnight in WD40

Jason

They should pull off quite easily then? Do they come off in two pieces or one?

wabbitpoo":1akgpsni said:
They should pull off quite easily then? Do they come off in two pieces or one?
Both motor and spindle pulleys are two part units.

Be careful how much force you use as the cheap die-cast material they are made from will shatter easily.

Are you sure the rear headstock pulley half (furthest from the chuck) is still not secured to the shaft. Sometimes there are two grub screws one on top of the other in the hub.

Yes I am sure. I guess they are just stuck. Will look into borrowing a bearing puller (whatever that is!) to pull them off.

When they are all clean & lubed they will slide easily. I had to clean the gunk off the spindles with fine emery it was that solid.

Jason

Wabbit poo, sorry I haven't read this post earlier but it sounds like what happened to my awvsl1000(pretty much the same lathe). Take the belt off and see if the pulley half nearest the headstock has any play in it. The keyway in it can wear as the pulleys are soft causing the two halves not to engage properly after being in top speed. If this is the problem email Axminster and they will supply replacements for you.

HTH
JT

I have made some progress. I put shims between the motor and the chassis, so pushing the two pullies further apart, plus I soaked the shafts in wd40 for a while, which freed up the top pulley a little. I certainly have better range of speeds but still very stiff to change and it feels like the lever is gonna break off! Still, its only a hobby machine...... :?

Thanks to all for their input.

Latest posts

Back