Cars that make you smile

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
62F22F8D-AF71-4244-98EB-6B54AE7F4DD6.jpeg

I’m not particularly into cars myself, I’m a Vincent motorcycle fanatic and anything that’s old with two wheels. However my old mans got loads of cars and my favourite to drive is this Lotus Cortina mk2. Although I am not smiling in this photo 😅 it does tend to make me smile when I drive it. It smells lovely, it goes really well, I can sensibly fit my 3 daughters in the back (unlike most of his others) and it’s from 1970 so what’s not to like?

Only have a bike licence so never driven on the road, my first bike was a 1998 Model G1 Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja and I absolutely loved that bike, nearly killed myself on it a few times and had to replace the engine once but it was awesome, 0 to 60 in something like 3.4 seconds and the first of the 600cc bikes to break 160mph, just looking at it made me smile, at the same time I've also had Honda CB1-400, Kawasaki ZZR1400, Kawasaki Z750, for the last 12 years I've had Suzuki Gladius SFV650, it's a beautiful bike to ride but I do miss my ZX6R, back in my construction days around 2012 I was running the stockyard for a firm, I used to fill up the staff and company cars from the yards petrol and diesel tanks, Fiat 500 was OK but found the position of the gear stick awkward, VW taureg automatic was comfy, Smart car was a little go-kart, my favourite was the Audi A4 that the surveyors got to drive around in then there's the 7.5ton trucks which were too big so didn't much like moving them more then just forward and backwards if I needed them out of the way.
I've never really had an interest in driving but now that I want to start doing craft shows I need something I can pack everything into, having tried repeatedly to do mock theory tests and failing miserably every time I am not confident I can afford to take my driving test so am considering cars that can be driven on a motorcycle licence such as the Microcar MC1 and MC2
https://www.google.co.uk/search?sca...653&dpr=2.81#vhid=4S2Yui7hrCL6VM&vssid=mosaic

Only have a bike licence so never driven on the road, my first bike was a 1998 Model G1 Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja and I absolutely loved that bike, nearly killed myself on it a few times and had to replace the engine once but it was awesome, 0 to 60 in something like 3.4 seconds and the first of the 600cc bikes to break 160mph, just looking at it made me smile, at the same time I've also had Honda CB1-400, Kawasaki ZZR1400, Kawasaki Z750, for the last 12 years I've had Suzuki Gladius SFV650, it's a beautiful bike to ride but I do miss my ZX6R, back in my construction days around 2012 I was running the stockyard for a firm, I used to fill up the staff and company cars from the yards petrol and diesel tanks, Fiat 500 was OK but found the position of the gear stick awkward, VW taureg automatic was comfy, Smart car was a little go-kart, my favourite was the Audi A4 that the surveyors got to drive around in then there's the 7.5ton trucks which were too big so didn't much like moving them more then just forward and backwards if I needed them out of the way.
I've never really had an interest in driving but now that I want to start doing craft shows I need something I can pack everything into, having tried repeatedly to do mock theory tests and failing miserably every time I am not confident I can afford to take my driving test so am considering cars that can be driven on a motorcycle licence such as the Microcar MC1 and MC2
https://www.google.co.uk/search?sca...653&dpr=2.81#vhid=4S2Yui7hrCL6VM&vssid=mosaic
Who said you need a car to load up your Craft Show gear?😘

Attachments

• 20170411_165908.jpg
    20170411_165908.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Been a fan of Subaru for a while now and I am on my third Forrester. It's only when you are bombing down the motorway do you appreciate the ultra smooth engine. The flat boxer engine and four wheel drive for me is the ultimate internal combustion engine design. Mind you I had to switch to diesel as they are thirsty beasts. :giggle:

My first car: a 1938 Rover 14. Cost me £25 in '62 and looking back I think the guy who sold it to me fudged the then fledgling MOT as we had to do a couple of things to it (e.g loosen up the steering - king pins hadn't been greased in yonks...). Once that was done my elder brother and his chum (who was mechanic type) you could turn the wheel with one finger (well almost). Described as a poor man's limo it ws exquisitely built - with real red carpets; oak or similar woodwork everywhere and genine leather seats. Lots of usefeul dials and so on too. No heater of course in those days, nor demisters... We had to replace a neoprene gear box support - parts then easily available and then gear changing was so simple/easy... I learned to drive in it - along with lessons from BSM. Until I passed my test my Bro drive it when I was down in London and kept it polished and looking like ne Real solidly built machine with proper bumpers - and real chrome...; so much so that some pholks thought he was a chauffeur or limo service if they saw him in his bus driver's uniform and parking it etc. wherever. He was "always" very smartly turned out - something amongst other things, he acquired from his 3yrs national service.
I drove it for about 18months or so before it needed a new sump gasket and at least one piston ring (6 cyclinder engine). It was real joy to have; even if it was showing its aged in some respects. Today, restored it likely would be worth a H... of lot more than £25... which was all that I spent on it too. Sold it for £25 too after my Bro and his mate dealt with the gssket and ring item!

Next beastie; a bog standard Ford Popular; used to go round the tight roundabout in Kensington Gardens almost side ways because of its suspension. Then took over Ford special a chum and I from skool built; it was his project and I merely helped. He went to Oz land so of course he couldn't take it with him. It was like so many of those cars never really finished; but that's tale for another time... That could move if you wanted it too; even with the un-modfied Ford 8 side valve engine... Great suspension - glued itself to the road; Typhoon chassis/pan hard rod rear axle...

In Canada I had second hand/low mileage Renault 1100 (rear engine job); I took it from about 20,000 to almost the 1000,000 mark in eitgteen months or so. Beautiful to drive; dirt cheap to run. Never got stuck in snow (and we do get a lot of there) as it had Micheline X tyres - which in those days would give you close to 100000 miles use; not like todays stuff. Pirrellis of the time were similar then. They were good in weather... Easy to service; though I had mine done by local dealership with superb service dept. and manager. I used to put on so many miles a month (seriously long distance drives/journeys, that it was always due for a service each month. Like most cars though in those days it was also a rust bucket in some parts...

Next one was a second hand Fiat 127 station wagon/hatch back. Great to drive...; but a rust bucket to say the least. Atrocious Lucas electrics which were replaced twice while I had it and I know they were trouble for the original owners; a tv station exec who I knew very well. His #2, and his set designer, both had used it prior to my being given it for a decent price $1800 Canadian. I spend the same amount on it fixing those lousy electrics and had it for 18 months - before it simply rusted through across/between the front door posts... I could have bought a Ford Mouse for the same sum - possibly less - and got better mpg and fewer problems too. Fiats in those days were absolutely awful. In the US they had to buy them back due to the rust issue; but no such luck in Canada at the time. Honda Civics were also rust buckest in those days, as were Toyota Corollas...

Fast forward to UK... I had 78 VW Derby (Polo with a boot) for couple of years or so; OK to drive but appalling (non servo) brakes... ; and noisy at speed on the freeway/highway. It was ok... but then shifted to a Carina 5 door and had it for 13years (it was two years old when I bought it). Great to.drive; 5speed gear box - giving 45mpg on the freeway/motor way and around 38mpg in town... Then replaced it with my current second hand Honda HRV - now 24 yrs olde. Nice to drive but has the dreaded CVT version of automatic; give me true automatic any time... Still it's been reliable and still OK in every respect; including Komisar Khan's car tax for Greater London...

Which do I recall with a warm glow/smile? The '38 Rover of course; then possibly the Renault 1100 and/or the Carina - with the Honda in reserve... The Fiat - not even in the running...

Pre-war motors had a certain style and cache which todays don't which is a pity. Which having said, I regard a car as a means of travel and load carrying; so it needs to allow for both. Rather than opting for a simply overpriced 2 seater hot rod of whatever make...

Latest posts

Back