Anyone been to Iceland for a holiday?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, just for shopping. got what i needed so was OK

A friend went for a glacier trek and to spend most of a weekend in a big hot puddle getting rather tipsy. He and his other half really enjoyed it with friendly people but found the food a bit hard to swallow in regards to the traditional stuff.

hth

First and only time I've ever stripped the injectors from a General Motors V8 diesel to get the water out after a river crossing went wrong. Unplanned 2 day stop at a freezing cold campsite saved only by a natural hot spring feeding up into a perishing cold river. Iceland makes for a good activity holiday :)

We went there to celebrate my 60th but only for a week as the other week was spent on Islay (whisky tours)...

Iceland is an awesome place; we've been to many beautiful countries, yet I would go back there in a heartbeat. There is so much to see and experience that you must, must do your research and plan your visit to get the most out of it. Other caveats are obviously the weather - it really is the only country where we experienced sun, rain, snow, hail and gale force winds in one day; so, you do need appropriate all-weather gear, especially layers that you can remove and replace through the day. Include thermals on your list. It is a vast country so getting around takes time and you do need a 4 x 4 hire car as you will need to leave the main ring road to drive along tracks to see waterfalls, glaciers etc. You can see many wonderful sights by only touring along the south coast, as we did. Plan each journey to try and visit several places in a day. If you want to see the Aura Borealis you do need to go in late December or January (we went in October and disappointingly didn't see it). Finally, it is eye wateringly expensive so do save up!

Not Iceland, but Finland and Sweden, 90miles inside the Artic circle, the highlight was driving a 10 dog sledge across a Frozen lake and tree lined trails, with cross roads for skiers, the dogs do not want to stop and you stand on the brake the whole time, the Ice hotel was wet in the morning, beautiful to look at, but don't recommend staying the night the Aurora was not that spectacular whilst we where there, but we did see it.

We went this summer. As above you do need a 4 wheel drive as you won't be allowed on gravel roads without, unless you know what you're doing off road keep off the extreme routes though. It's a beautiful country great for an active holiday, campsites are UK prices ,hotels double and food is a bit pricier, organized activities are expensive as well.
I've been before and would go back, where else can you watch a volcano erupt?

I've been, but working. Friends went recently (4th time) and reported (lots of photographs) loving it!
It's different, very different. If you're hiring a car to get around, make sure it's a 4x4, you'll enjoy the driving more.

Went for 2 weeks after very enthusiastic reports from children who went on school trips
Alcohol is expensive. To get the best trip needs to be very well researched and planned in massive detail.
There’s a bloke called Stacey who has written guidebooks- he was in the first wave of people opening it up to the masses! He runs accompany that plans individual itineraries guided by an iPad- worked really well. We did 4x4. glacier trips including the hairy river crossings. Lots of good hotels some with beds to watch northern lights, a geologist’s and geographer’s paradise. Also old whaling stations and Ww2 heritage. Fat ponies in the fields that later appeared on the menu😳
Lots of waterfalls, volcanic scenery and black beaches.
Car park wardens in Rejavik are geared up to catch tourists so be careful.
It is expensive but we’ll worth the money.

I went there to compete on a car rally about 30 years ago. I was with a team from Finland and everyone thought it was expensive. When Finns think it is expensive, you know it is expensive.

I've been in iceland on holiday before, but not the country. That's just a good term for where I stand with the wife when she's angry. I'm in Iceland. It seems to be easier to get to Iceland while we're on vacation ("you're ruining it for everyone!"....by saying maybe we could low key it and just kind of sit around for a vacation here or there instead of do full outlook calendar style vacations).

visited in May of 2019, stayed 5 days on the southern part in and around Vik. we did day hikes up into the foothills, visited the Troll Fingers, etc. Iceland is a very impressive place, especially when you get up into the hills away from the southern flats. the scenery is eerie and beautiful and you'll never forget it.

the fermented shark -- hakari? -- is __disgusting__. i'd describe myself as a dedicated foodie and have tried and enjoyed a lot of things but that was not one of them. gave me stomach cramps for the next 6 months whenever i thought about it again. evil, nasty thing to do to oneself.

everything is expensive and there are no bargains to be had so don't even bother. haggling is not an option as far as we could tell. the locals are cordial and very decent people but they're happy to keep their distance too. one gets the impression that tourists are considered a necessary evil, or maybe a necessary irritant is maybe a better way to put it.

one regret: we stopped at a couple shops selling locally produced knitted goods but the prices kept me from buying anything. i've now learned that Icelandic wool is lovely stuff -- the Mrs has done a few things in it for me since -- and the work we saw there was quite unique and beautiful. i should have opened my wallet when i had the chance.

Latest posts

Back