Anybody watch "The Wood Whisperer"?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodAddict

Established Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to what you guys think. I've been watching a few of his films on youtube and enjoying them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWoodWhis ... X5av-Ovzyk

If you've not seen any then have a look. But just a warning - he loves those power tool with the lime green switches 8) :D so if you get jealous easily then it's probably best you avoid it!

I'm just towards the end of his side table series.... looking oood so far.

went through the vids in about 4 days, I'm not a guild member though. but post on his forums sometimes. I find hes very good at explaining things imo.

Yep I'm a regular over there, know Marc and Nicole very well. I'm a guild member and all round fan. I have the official title of "Biggest UK Fan". :D I even have a Wood Whisperer Special Edition Planer.... ;) It's not just the woodworking, I think I'm in tune with the way he works and his style of furniture. Plus I love his business ethos. I wouldn't really recommend the guild to anyone outside the states as it concentrates on local timezones for the live meetings and interviews. Plus they are now doing 'Guild Builds' where they all build along together. Not something I'm into. Even if I could be pineappled to make something at exactly the same time as a bunch of other people, I'm not interested in copying someone else's designs to the letter.

If that bandy legged table with that ghastly top is typical of his output :sick:, I'll stay away, tvm - Rob

I've watched his shows since the beginning, always informative and highly entertaining, as for the actual work, I've grown to dislike many of his actual designs and pieces, and I rarely find a technique particularly useful for my kind of woodworking, but for some wood related entertainment, its about the best show on the net (apart from the woodwright shop which is genius).

woodbloke":3v84geea said:
If that bandy legged table with that ghastly top is typical of his output :sick:, I'll stay away, tvm - Rob

From the few I've seen I wouldn't say that the table is typical of his finished pieces. Watching the whole build last night, it was full of information, tips and techniques from design right through to finishing in depth. Even if the final piece is not your "cup-of-tea" then it's still worth having a look through the other videos.

I'll put my tin-hat on here before I saw this.........................................

The way people rave about Norm amazes me. I guess it's just a personal choice but I don't like watching Norm at all. He annoys me :shock:

......................Running for cover :twisted:

I've being watching him for a while and think he's great. When I first switched on he (Marc) had a baseball cap on the wrong way round and I thought 'Oh no, cocky American kid, who probably knows nothing'. Couldn't have been more wrong! :oops:
I think he's entertaining and makes the learning fun. He's also very honest about his work, shows his cock ups and short cuts he probably shouldn't take. Gets my vote.

The way people rave about Norm amazes me. I guess it's just a personal choice but I don't like watching Norm at all. He annoys me

......................Running for cover

You don't need to run from me... I grew up with those shows on US TV and grew out of them.

Jim

Norm's not for everyone. I started watching that when I was 8 or 9 on the original Sky channel. He's got a lot of people into woodworking that the more modern clowns couldn't. His methods might be a little 'American', but it's still entertaining to see someone work with wood and create something out of a pile of sticks. Whilst he's obviously not creating those pieces in 45mins. He is doing it in about 2 days, which is faster than 99% of us hobbyists. The thing I don't like about the NYW show, is that it's so straight laced. I've never even seen an out-take from that show. It's all business. Fine if you want to be a pro-woodworkers. But his widest audience is hobbyists, all over the world.

wizer":1faxw8ko said:
Norm's not for everyone. I started watching that when I was 8 or 9 on the original Sky channel. He's got a lot of people into woodworking that the more modern clowns couldn't. His methods might be a little 'American', but it's still entertaining to see someone work with wood and create something out of a pile of sticks. Whilst he's obviously not creating those pieces in 45mins. He is doing it in about 2 days, which is faster than 99% of us hobbyists. The thing I don't like about the NYW show, is that it's so straight laced. I've never even seen an out-take from that show. It's all business. Fine if you want to be a pro-woodworkers. But his widest audience is hobbyists, all over the world.

I reckon that would be quite an entertaining show!!

Sometimes I'm sad enough to use the rewind button on Sky+ and you can clearly see that something he's gluing (and just popped a couple of brads into) isn't lined up square.

On the latest series he also seems to have the shakes a bit, - wonder if that's why he's packing it in (making the shows that is)?

Could be, but he's not as old as he seems. 60 this year.

Yes I watch Marc and am a Guild member. I like his approach to teaching and he's never afraid to show you his mistakes. His websites are a mine of useful information.
I've seen a few Yankee Woodworker shows that are being rerun online and I like Norm. But alarmed at the number of 23 gauge brads he uses in his work although I'm aware he is building projects for TV in a limited time.
Not seen very many Woodworks shows with David Marks as they don't appear to have made it free onto the tinternet and I don't have Sky TV.

If i bumped into him i'd buy him a pint!

I don't always like the design of what he does but I love how he does it, his attention to detail and his willingness to share techniques and approaches.

Obviously he's doing it to help make a living and the free stuff is there to draw you into buying the other stuff - but i think he gives far more for free than he realy needs to and does it with such a sense of fun that you can tell he really loves his work - good luck to him I say.

Norm I also find a bit nail gun obsessed but interesting to watch nonetheless

David Marks I believe made all the woodworks shows himself and owns the copyright so appears to be - very sensibly in my opinion - keeping a good grip on them and selling them through his website good luck to him as well

good luck to everyone it's friday afternoon and only a few hours from beer o'clock!!

cheers

Norms funding for the show was pulled.

I'll always keep an eye out for something new by Marc, hes an intellegent and entertaining chap and makes a good video (or what ever the trendy name is). If some of the shows that have made it onto tv had a bit more sense of humour/personallity about them they would certainly draw a bigger audience and might pull in a few new wood workers here and there.

I wont go into furniture style as its all personal taste but I do find Marc to be of the Norm school style of wood working, more wood pusher than worker sometimes but its a minor gripe.

FWIW

Back