Any way of saving door with screw through veneer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjalloq

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just gone to hang a pocket door and noticed that one of the hardware fixing screws has gone straight through the side of the door. I can't press it back so it feel like the particleboard interior is bunched up and pressing out or something.

Should I try and clamp it back flat with some glue or something else? Any thoughts? I can always use it for another internal cupboard door I need and get a new one. Perhaps use shorter fixings the length of the hardwood edging.

Cheers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/geXM8Z0F7jszQdWG3

I don't know if this would work, but as nobody else has answered, this is what I would do.
The screw hole provides a convenient way to get some sort of glue inside the door. I'd try Gripfil or one of the many equivalents which are good at filling gaps. Squirt plenty down the screw hole, until it starts to show at the crack in the veneer.
Then clamp the door between two bits of scrap wood to squeeze it flat. Cover one with parcel tape so any squeezed out glue won't stick to it. When the glue has gone hard, scrape or sand any remaining bump flat.
Use the door in the darkest corner!

Back