Any plumbers here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies to anyone who got miffed by me using the term "carpenter". To me that is (or at least was!) a term of respect meant to encompass all of the different job descriptions which involve working with wood. I stand better educated that perhaps the use of that term might not have been appropriate.

With respect to plumbing I am a very recent (as in last week!) convert of pushfit plumbing. For the last 30 years I've used solder or compression fittings 'cos I didn't think that pushfit could possibly be relied upon, and last week when fitting a new sink for a customer decided to give pushfit a try for the first time. Man, have I been wasting a huge amount of time in recent years sticking with copper fittings! No fiddling around with spanners or blowtorches in difficult to access areas, just prepare the joint, push together, tighten up with fingers, job done.

And you don't use boss white with pushfit (in fact I would assume that boss white might act as a lubricant which allowed the pushfit joint to come apart).

Andrew

Have to agree with HM pushfit are easy to use they do sell a silicon type grease as a lubricant for ease of fitting and to lessen the chance of 'o' ring damage. This does not affect the stability of the joint as there are small teeth inside the fitting that actually grip the pipe. Steer clear of the el cheapo shed variety as i have been to several jobs where they have failed after just a few years. If you do get the chance go to a plumbers merchants and have a good look around most of the time the staff in these places can be very helpful and they always know what fittings are good a which are poor cuz the plumbers will bend their ears if they had any problems :lol:

I am a reasonable competent DIYer, I fitted all the plumbing in my house a number of years ago ( my house was a "self build/managed" project with me & SWIMBO doing labouring, electrics and plumbing, the remainder directly contracted )

I recently tried the push fit plumbing and was amazed! Easy to connect between the original copper and the new work and routing the plastic pipe is a doddle. One tip, before pushing the fitting home, mark the outside of the pipe with the fitted depth of the fitting, then you can be sure that the pipe has seated correctly.

One thing to be aware of is that the pipe is not electrically conductive - in some older properties the plumbing was used as an earthing point.

John

HandyMac":3ib88705 said:
Apologies to anyone who got miffed by me using the term "carpenter". To me that is (or at least was!) a term of respect meant to encompass all of the different job descriptions which involve working with wood.
Hell no, carpenters are the lowest form of wood butchering life. Yep. You don't need to look far to see the evidence either. His Normness is a Master Carpenter isn't he...?

And yep, my tongue is so darn firmly in my cheek I'm wishing my joints would be as snug a fit :wink:

DaveL":3ib88705 said:
I must agree with John, the members of this forum are very much friends. :D (Does that make me sad? :roll: )
You need to ask? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Can't plumb. Can't tile. Can woodwork a bit. (Yes, it's spot the quote time again, folks)

now that we have sorted out the plumbers the chippies and sparks :p what about the state of the nation :twisted:

Dave your too late i started to panic when you said we were all your friends :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: no i must admit although i get on my high horse sometimes i have to agree the advice and the banter that goes on in this forum is great.

PS ure me bestest mates in da world hic hic :p
god i knew i should not have had that shandy :lol: :lol:

HandyMac":1fspxzfr said:
anobium punctatum":1fspxzfr said:
the banter that goes on in this forum is great

What banter? All I see is serious advice being offered. If you want banter I suggest you go visit www.lunaticsarerunningtheasylum.co.uk.

Andrew

Hang on there I can hear Floyd in the distance, tell me again which one is Pink :roll:

What you on about visit, should have told me i could visit the lunatic asylum before they locked the door to my padded cell :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back