any ideas what face plate i need to get

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilsworkshop

Reaction score
IMG_20200711_145904.jpg
any ideas what face plate i need to get im new to all this lol i have a pw super lathe 28-40

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_145904.jpg
    IMG_20200711_145904.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 280
First off you need to check what standard the 1-1/2" X 6 tpi. the spindle nose thread is.

1. Is it Whitworth (55 deg)
2 . Or Unified (60 deg.)

Dependant on quality of manufacture (closeness of fit) of accessories sometimes mixed standards will work one way but not the other.

I have a later electronic drive version which is 60 deg. and had an older mechanical drive version for a while which was 55 deg., they were built to different overall dimension standards as well, not just the thread and chuck/faceplate register diameter and depth.

I would not be surprised if the spindle nose thread specification changed during the life of the mechanical drive 28-30 / 40 or 38-40 machines production.

Most of the readily available 1-1/2" X 6 tpi. fittings are 60 deg unified.

i dont know if that helps i just got the lathe really sorry about this i have real trouble understanding things

Attachments

• IMG_20200719_124448.jpg
    IMG_20200719_124448.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 252
Another thought is instead of a dedicated faceplate for the thread why not buy an axminster or robert sorby chuck then buy the faceplate that fits in the jaws. I have both and the hold work just great

Dalboy the first picture shows a chuck of some kind on the shaft. He could take it to a small machine shop and they can tell him what the thread is and maybe make a faceplate too. Although probably at a greater cost than a stock one from a supplier.

Pete

i found out what chuck i have and orderd a face plate that fits my chuck thanks for the help guys
on another note i have a workzone bench grinder what sharpning wheel do i need to get ?

Latest posts

Back