Any idea whats going on with my oven?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Was warming the electric fan oven earlier, when it tripped the breaker in the fuseboard. I reset that and now the fan oven is not getting hot. The clock works, the fan works, and the grill works (which is part of the oven). But when I try and get the fan oven to warm it wont.

The oven is seperate to the electric hob. Just a single oven that is also the grill. Make is Lamona I think which from Google seems to be from Howdens which fits with the kitchen make. It also suggests they are rebrands of very cheap makes. I inherited it when I moved in 3 months ago. Def out of warrently, I have reason to believe it was installed 4 yeas ago.

Any ideas whats going, is there a simple and cheap fix or do I need a new oven?

Mark

Sounds like the element has blown taking the trip out at the same time, quite easy to fit your self if you feel up to it, the hard bit is finding the part no.

Element gone, remove the element take it to your local domestic appliance repair shop and they will match one up, well they did for me when my fan oven element went.

Pete

Sounds like the element.... the grill element will be in the top, the fan oven element is behind a cover at the back I expect.

Pretty straightforward job to fit, sometimes the mounting screws can be a pain.

£20 and half an hour would sort it i'd expect.

So this hasn't gone as well as I'd have hoped.

I got a new element, I'm happy its the right one. Bizarrely the old one was held on by one screw at the front (accessed via the inside of the oven) and 2 screws at the back which meant I had to take the oven out of the cabinet, remove the back and unscrew from there.

New element fitted and put back together. I screwed the new eement on by screwing all 3 screws from the front. To put the 2 in from the back will be a bit of a nightmare and I also thought it would make redoing this job in the future easier.

Anyway, all back together and now only the clock works, no light, no fan, no grill as well as no oven.

Any ideas what I could have done wrong?

Mark

Have you disturbed the interlock switch/wiring on the oven door or even the switch itself? I assume that would turn off the element and fan and turn on the oven light. Not sure how that might relate to the grill though!

Well I've solved the mystery. Or at least my wife did when she came home.

Her - have you set the clock
Me - no but you can see it works its flashing
Her - Set the clock
Me - mutters hows that going to help
Her - Just do it

I do it and now everything else works. Is this random that the clock has to be set to a time, not just flashing for any part of the oven to work? I can't think of any reason why this would be the case. But it is on this oven. And now I can have a decent dinner.

Apart from the ball ache of having to take the back off, this was in reality quite easy to do and cost me about £12. Thanks for all the help.

Mark

The Bear":3d8wqhcn said:
Is this random that the clock has to be set to a time, not just flashing for any part of the oven to work?
Mark

FWIW, our Siemens oven won't work e.g. after a power cut, until the clock has been set. I wonder if it's some safety feature - perhaps to ensure the oven is not accidentally switched 'on' after first installation?

The Bear":1hg8t8a2 said:
. Is this random that the clock has to be set to a time, not just flashing for any part of the oven to work? I can't think of any reason why this would be the case.

If the oven trips a MCD in the consumer unit, and you reset it without switching the oven off /unpugging it, then it'll come back on automatically which may or may not be what you want - especially if it has a fault. The clock setting demands positive action from a user to reactivate the appliance.

Back