Any central heating epxerts on here - oil fired Riello burner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that then time to just replace the whole unit, sods law says that fit new pump and something else will fail but a new unit resets everything to being the same age.
In my experience it was either the cap for the fan or bearings, the oil pump, occasionally a flame sensor, never had a control box fault, not really much else in the way of moving parts to go wrong.

Fan runs fine as does the pump. Monitored the pump pressure while it was running and it was steady. If the fan or pump was getting stuck etc then there would be a fluctuation.
The fan could be running freely until it gets hot then something could be binding and preventing it from rotating when it tries to restart. The sound file deffo sounded like a motor trying to start up?
I hope you get it fixed soon.
M

In my experience it was either the cap for the fan or bearings, the oil pump, occasionally a flame sensor, never had a control box fault, not really much else in the way of moving parts to go wrong.
Over the 30yrs I've been here I've gone through a pump seal, a control box and a couple of flame sensors. The sticky fan I referred to to was solved by a judicious clean out to the casing in which it was binding

The fan could be running freely until it gets hot then something could be binding and preventing it from rotating when it tries to restart. The sound file deffo sounded like a motor trying to start up?
I hope you get it fixed soon.
M
Feeling the pump/fan on the side of the burner was one of the tests we carried out. Each time, it was relatively cool to the touch. Certainly not very hot as if it was binding. Good suggestion, though.

Touch wood, seems to be OK now. We replaced the photocell and solenoid but then still had a couple of lockouts shortly afterwards. That was several days ago now and been OK since.

Forgot to mention that if anyone is interested, I used a brilliant product to test for water in the tnk. Kolor Kut. Not cheap but enough to last a lifetime. Comes in a toothpaste type tube. You smear a little along a piece of wood that you will dip into the tank to reach the bottom. It's gold out of the tube. Any water and it instantly goes red.

Sounds like litmus paper for water and could also be handy for finding water in any fuel, especially if you have some diesel stored in a jerry can.

Latest posts

Back