Any advice for finishing this chair?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eccy_road

Reaction score
Made from ply, chip board and some acrylic sheets.

Done my 320 sandpaper, but cant find a suitable finish because of the acrylic.
What would be perfect is an interior varnish, very scratch resistant with satin / matt finish.
(I dont have any experience with oils and waxes but dont think they would be handy here?)

Tried Rustins varnish on some acrylic but i was able to scratch that off after a week.
Read a little about shellac and thought there might be one for me in the range that's suitable? but not sure what shellac is

I want to sell this after, not keeping it, so any advice for a professional finish would be very welcome[/img]

Hi,

There are some help hint here, you need to link directly to the picture file, not to instructions for the hosting site to display the picture.

The links you have posted do not work for me as it asks for a login to view the pictures.

Glad you sorted out the picture hosting, just a couple of questions, got any work in progress pictures? And how about one with you sat on it? Looks interesting and very different, well done. :D

Sorry no idea what to finish it with. :oops:

Hi, thats a great chair. Maybe one of the melamine laquers that come in aerosol cans would be the thing for finishing something like this. I've no experience of using them. I've no idea if you woudl have compatability issues with oils, varnishes, or any other finish with the acrylic though, perhaps a pen turner might know (I think they use acrylic sometimes).

Cheers,

Dod

Wanlock Dod":22inag80 said:
perhaps a pen turner might know (I think they use acrylic sometimes).

Yes pens can be made from acrylic, but don't normal have any finish applied, apart from may be renascence wax, turners polish the acrylic with finer and finer abrasive, to get a high gloss finish. The wax helps to stop finger prints.

By eck Eccy, Shellac will be equally good on the acrylic as on the timber, buy some ready mixed from wherever you get your other stuff, probably called French Polish on the container,a couple of small bottles of clear shellac will do the job.
Derek.

Eccy that looks fantastic! Any work in progress shots? Was this designed / built for anything particular? customer? college course?

Does it flex much when sat on?

Good work.

Latest posts

Back