Upgrade workshop extraction. Any advice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't put your router in a sealed box under a table with a dust port.
Who would be daft enough to do that, extraction relies on airflow and if the box was sealed then no airflow and no extraction. It works because people like Incra make inserts that allow airflow INCRA MagnaLOCK CleanSweep Ring Insert Set - 6 Piece as shown in the above pictures. I would question how well it works if you were cutting a slot through a length of wood so the plate was covered, does it pull the wood down and make it harder to move across the cutter?

I would question how well it works if you were cutting a slot through a length of wood so the plate was covered, does it pull the wood down and make it harder to move across the cutter?

It works very well. When I am cutting dados in small boards, the chips do fly when the board first contacts the cutter. As soon as the board covers the cutter, the chips and dust are sucked into the CleanSweep housing and to my dust bin. I haven't noticed any change in the amount of effort required to push the board over the cutter. I usually use the JessEm guides to hold the wood down and against the fence.

If the first dado cut is with the 6mm cutter, I usually have to work the piece back and forth across the cutter to clear the chips because they can build up in the newly cut groove after the cutter. This doesn't happen with larger cutters or subsequent passes with the smaller cutters. It's not really a problem, but I don't like a wad of chips falling to the floor when I lift the board off of the table.

Some YouTube videos I found useful:

It's tough to know what's objective advice when the youtubers talk about everything they're doing and then put a redirect token in their footer to see if they can get you to buy it so that they earn a commission.

Geoff,

I have the Incra system, which includes the Mast-R-Lift II, CleanSweep ported inserts, CleanSweep box, and the LS positioner with the Super Fence. The Super Fence has its own dust collection port that I connected to the main duct.

This is a photo of the router plate with one of the CleanSweep inserts installed. The set comes with seven inserts with different sized center holes for the cutters.

Router_Table-26-M.jpg

This is a photo of the router table as I was building it before I attached the drawer faces and door. Disregard the experiment in the top drawer. Using a brad nailer was much faster for these small drawers than the pocket holes . The CleanSweep box is attached to the bottom of the router table and completely encloses the router and lift. The sliding door can be removed for access to the router, or opened slightly for more airflow. I keep it closed and have not noticed any dust or chip residue in the box. The 100mm flexible hose attaches to the bottom of the CleanSweep box and makes the forbidden 90-degree bend to exit the side of the router table.

Router_Table-9-XL.jpg

This is a photo of the side showing the router table with the 2.5-inch flexible hose connected to the Super Fence. The small port in the upper right corner of the side just below the table is a dummy port to store the Super Fence hose when it is not needed.

Router_Table-15-L.jpg

Router_Table-16-L.jpg
Thanks @MikeK - that’s really helpful. I don’t have the Incra plate, but I can 3D print some vented inserts for my table. - Geoff

When I am cutting dados in small boards
Interesting terminology! Given that this is a UK-based forum, we have, off the top of my head, grooves, trenches, housings ... but no 'dados'. What's a dado? It's obviously different to a dodo. ;-)

Of course we do have dados, but they are to do with walls and plinths ...

Interesting terminology! Given that this is a UK-based forum, we have, off the top of my head, grooves, trenches, housings ... but no 'dados'. What's a dado? It's obviously different to a dodo. ;-)
Yes, geography makes a difference! A dado is the slot cut across the grain of a board to accept another board, such as a fixed (permanent) shelf in a bookcase. I suppose you would call it a housing.

I would go for a record dx5000 or similar camvac twin motor style, reason being they are rated for fine dust and have 3 layers of filtration, outer fleece bag, paper filters and then pleated canister filters. You can always run an inline cyclone if you want to but I have been running my dx5000 without for a long time now, as they use large waste sacks anyway its not really an issue. Relatively cheap as well compared to some of the offerings out there.

On another note, did you buy the trend smartbench yet or are you just thinking about it ? Please don`t take offence if you own it already I am sure its ok, but you could get a proper cnc machine for that money, or even a small cnc machine and a Shaper origin.

Ollie

Thanks for the advice Ollie. Unfortunately the trend router was purchased before I started so we have to live with it for now. It doesn't look like the strongest machine at all. The only advantage I think it has is the size of the bed and cutting area. Other than that it looks like a toy.

Latest posts

Back