Another 'which species of wood is this' - NEW PHOTOS ADDED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
My best guess from the pictures in my 'Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual' is beech:

4526765250_65c69e3f13.jpg

The item in question is an approx. 50 year old church pew.

Am I correct ?

90% certain it's not Beech it looks more rainforest to me (mahogany'ish) the pic is too bad to tell though

I'm inclined to agree totally with Matty, but some of the grain on the bead is chucking my woodie senses out. Can we have a close up of the bead area?

If possible, take the pic in daylight with no flash. Even if it's not in daylight, take it in good lighting without the flash.

Thanks for the comments.

I'll try to get a better picture. but my camera is a bit moody about close focussing ... must decide on which new one to get.

SBJ":2yf29dd8 said:
if it's very light it could be idigbo
I'd be suprised at 50 yrs old?
The flecks on the raised section do look slightly similar to those seen on beech and london plane etc but the main looks just like a Mahog type to me.

Ironballs":136raafx said:
The grain does appear to reverse, which indicates a tropical hardwood

Not really. Interlocked or reversing grain as you described it indicates an alternating spiralling growth pattern which is not exclusive to trees that grow in the tropics. Trees from all geographical regions can, and do, show this form of growth although the reason for it is not clearly understood (if understood at all) by wood scientists. Slainte.

I'd say lightly stained/aged rubberwood or maybe from the flecking, london plane? Probably way off, but does have an eastern mahogany look though.

Sgian Dubh":i7hbzxyr said:
Ironballs":i7hbzxyr said:
The grain does appear to reverse, which indicates a tropical hardwood

Not really. Interlocked or reversing grain as you described it indicates an alternating spiralling growth pattern which is not exclusive to trees that grow in the tropics. Trees from all geographical regions can, and do, show this form of growth although the reason for it is not clearly understood (if understood at all) by wood scientists. Slainte.

Interesting, is it any particular species Richard or can it happen in a variety of trees? Do you get a similar effect when Beech grows in that spiral pattern?

More pictures - the best I can get with the aforementioned camera and the lighting conditions:

4528502672_2964584459_o.jpg

4528502694_d852fd27e0_o.jpg

4528502696_66a9cdbfed_o.jpg

4528502688_290ef36072_o.jpg

(I haven't been able to confirm the exact age yet.)

Do they help ?

Ironballs":qdu6qqvi said:
Interesting, is it any particular species Richard or can it happen in a variety of trees? Do you get a similar effect when Beech grows in that spiral pattern?

My experience and studies lead me to the conclusion that interlocked growth patterns can occur in most species: it's caused by alternating spiralling growth. From what I've found out and experienced it seems to be more common in tropical species, eg, various mahoganies and zebrano, and in zebrano for example it's quite common.

However, I have occasionally come across it in temperate hardwoods, but interlocked grain seems to be rarer. I think I've seen it in European oak only two or three times, and I don't think I've ever seen it in any of the American white oaks or red oaks. I've come across it more often in pale temperate hardwoods such as beech and maples in particular, and American cherry two or three times. I can't remember ever seeing it any of the coniferous species, but I don't think I can give a categorical opinion on its occurrence in gymnosperms. Slainte.

What about Australian Oak,it varies so much from cut to cut or tree to tree,it can look like any of the aforementioned timbers.Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back