another wadkin 10 ags

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slate1234

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I have picked up a wadkin ags 10 I have managed to get the table on and squared everything up, I have a problem with the rise and fall the knob on the front doesn't seem to stop the blade moving up and down, any help would be appreciated.
wakin 1.JPG
wakin 2.JPG

Attachments

• wakin 1.JPG
    wakin 1.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 239
  • wakin 2.JPG
    wakin 2.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 239
Is the tilt mechanism hard to adjust ?
It might have got seized and something broke by some gorilla.
Have to take the top off again I'm afraid .
I have my startrite in bits at the moment ...
I doubt they share any compatible parts but I'm happy to show you the adjustment on my machine.
Might make sourcing a possible part that's missing easier ?
Good luck ...nice saw
Tom

The large handwheel on the front moves the blade up and down. A 10" blade will go from just below the table to about 70 - 75 mm above the table. Is this working? It's a fairly heavy turn.

The smaller wheel concentric with it locks the rise and fall mechanism. It's actually missing on mine but the weight of the motor etc seems to hold it down well enough.

Can you be a bit more precise over exactly what is happening? Yours looks similar to mine.

I hope you do have the guard!

I can turn the big wheel no problem and when I tighten the small wheel I'm still able to adjust the hight, should I be able to do this ?, Re: the guard should I start another thread, I was thinking of fabricating one from ply.

The small locking screw is just a threaded wheel that tightens on the shaft of the tilt drive. There should be a washer between this and the bigger wheel. It isn't really necessary on mine. Does your blade height drift?

The locking wheel pushes against the rise/fall wheel. If the drive wheel is not free on the shaft, I don't think the lock will work. I suggest you take both wheels off, clean and reassemble.

You can see the exploded diagram in the manual, from the Wadkin Library online. I think yours (like mine) is the older of the two types available there.

Keith

slate1234":12rxcv41 said:
...Re: the guard should I start another thread...
IMHO keep it in the one thread - easier to follow your progress that way.

I have no experience with the AGS, so can't help, but I'm interested nontheless.

Cheers, Vann.

the blade will drift slowly I have put a thrust washer in front of the roll pin and it seems to have sorted the problem, RE the guard I will order one tomorrow thank you for that paddy

Slate, I found that using crinkled washers (no idea of proper name) did wonders as sharp 'crowns' stuck into the wheel surfaces and allowed good grip.

Sam

Hi Slate1234, just one thing I should mention about about the crown guard, the hole in my riving knife needed drilling out to accept the bolt that holds it on. The steel of my knife was super hard and it was very difficult to drill eve with the pillar drill. Make sure you have a sharp bit and plenty of lube.
Paddy

yes I think you mean a thrust washer Sam, that is what I have used I'm thinking of making my own overhead guard/dust collection, just thinking of some ideas

Okey Dokey Slate, gotcha. Wadkin blade guards are markedly more rare than rocking horse poo...I have a metal one cadged from summat t'other table saw. I have just bodged together a cabinet-filling housing to go under and around the main casting and motor, trying to avoid the three hundredweight of sawdust that piles up in that awkward cabinet bottom. Away from home presently, but will try to get photaes when I return. Probably next weekend, as real job tends to be time- ravenous...

Sam

Back