Another timber identity please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
timber identity.jpg

Attachments

• timber identity.jpg
    timber identity.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 151
yeah the flash killed the colour

RGB colour is
R89 G45 B27 very close to real colour, no chance its beech, too dark.

Its the grain that I cannot read otherwise I would say sapele as well.

The wood together with about 5 or 6 other varieties was given to me around three years ago, so no idea who the supplier was.

I was making magic wands for the kids recently out of beaten up old furniture and that grain pattern looks very like some old mahogany I was using. Once the finish comes off its surprising how "not at all red" mahogany is

With time as colour fades and I find ABW does do a very good job of turning into "Mahogany"

I'd say it was meranti, or some other obscure far eastern mahogany type species. Or Utile. I could be way off though.

As Mar_mite says is looks like meranti or some other "mahogany substitute". There are many similar species available in the UK but most is just sold as meranti (especially if bought from the likes of Jewsons, TP etc.).

I have a few different bits of "mahogalike" hanging round from different sources, all look very similar and I wouldn't like to try an stick a name on the different types - some are lighter/darker - most are a bit soft compared to some oak and ash I have - most tear out quite easy.

One of lifes tiny annoyances.

:)

No skills":3gelau01 said:
I have a few different bits of "mahogalike" hanging round from different sources, all look very similar and I wouldn't like to try an stick a name on the different types - some are lighter/darker - most are a bit soft compared to some oak and ash I have - most tear out quite easy.

"mahogalike" - that's a nice one. Similar species to mahoganish :D

No skills":gaicbb26 said:
DW

Do you use much in the way of small sectioned (40x40) timber?

Not much furniture worked on these days that's why its been hanging around, so it will await a project perhaps one day. I was just curious what it was.

I live in a retirement catchment area and people know I work with wood and it happens that neighbours move on and I get some handy bits sometimes.

Back