another table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giacomo

Established Member
Reaction score
Ciao a tutti!

I was very busy in the last year so I had less time to visit this forum. One of the causes of my being away was the construction of a Louis XV stile table that I made for LegnoLab a new italian review about wood in which I work with some very skilled friends.
Here a short version of the work. Everything (except some cuts with bandsaw) is made with materials and techniques of XVIII century. Finished with polished shellac

One of four legs made in chestnut. The problem is to keep the pieces together until the cut is complete.

Here the leg . A lot of waste but the bigger pieces will be used to build a little modern sofa table!

Legs are concave along the cheeks. Nothing in this table is straight

Yes, I had to build a little pattern before and, obviously, I changed the final profile!

The legs are linked by a curved “fascia” that I made cutting a triple curve on a poplar blank. Then I glued together the flat faces to have a strong and thick piece to work on.

I cut the front profile while the blank was still straight (four nails to keep the pieces together after the first cut!)

Also the “fascia” profile is curved and my gouges worked hard!

The top is made by a frame with a blind joint and a panel.

A big mahogany plane converted in a scrub does the job quickly

Every edge (legs ones too) was cut off and replaced with bois de violet (from the family of dalbergia) then moulded (using spokeshaves ad scrapers) quarter round.

Veneering finally! I love the spring clamps. Cheap, easy to make and easy to use. Bones glue obviously.

A shopmade tool to cut the veneer at the right measure from the edge

A leather top seems the right choice to fit the top. A thin gilded line and a bit of “patina” to give a little of personality.

And a little drawer with a sliding leather covered top.

Hope you enjoyed!

That is beautiful, thank you for sharing with us.

It's great seeing the techniques used by our continental cousins too.

Outstanding piece of work, I take my hat off to you sir, it is a joy to see that there are still people in this world who love the art of fine hand made furniture.

Oh, Just another table.... :shock: :lol:

Lovely work.

thankyou everybody friends. It's a pleasure to see your works and to share mine!

Corset, I made four articles about the table, from september to january, and a DVD too. Unfortunately the web site of the review (look for legnolab) is still in his basic version. Maybe one day the editor will sell it all to an english written review. I don't know....

In the current issue is shown the first part of a really beautiful router table made by a friend.

see you soon!

Wow, a stunning piece, even more impressive due to the use of handtools. I have no doubt you could have the skill to even manage without the bandsaw.

David

Back