Another SU Challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gidon - Ah, yes, it's all coming back to me in all Mr Aspey's terrifying clarity. :)
Thanks.

Dave - Ah, yes, you mean you cheated :) Good idea though.
I think that if you need a view of the right hand end, you would draw what you see and place it on the right of the front elevation. As far as I can remember, there is no reason why you cannot have two end elevations, left and right. And top and bottom for that matter, though how you do front and back I don't know. Presumably by drawing the bottom elevation below the front, and the back elevation below that.

Or am I talking bovine colonic waste again?

Cheers
Steve

Some helpful tips there Dave - thanks. This lesson mainly taught me to be a little more organised - never really used pages much before. And creating a page for the 3rd(?) orthographic projection is very nifty!
workbench_1_001.jpg

workbench_kd.jpg

workbench_ortho.jpg

I've uploaded the model to 3DW in case anyone wants some plans for a simple bench.
A suggestion for the next challenge is that it focuses on something small but challenging. Ie some aspect of designing in SU rather than building something complete. More people may have a go then perhaps?
Cheers
Gidon

Steve, if I cheated it was all in the name of being lazy. :D

I suppose it would make sense to make a second page with the back, bottom and right ends displayed so that none of the views are too small.

BCW, a good one. I'll have to remember that one. ;)

Gidon, that looks great. The view of the joint is an excellent one and you have completed the assignment with the highest of marks.

I think you are ready for the next one. You want to do something smaller so how about a door knocker in the form of a lion's head? :lol:

Or what sort of small thing do you have in mind?

BTW, I'm off to a sailing thing for the next few days. Sorry for missing last week's FSUT and unfortunately because I've been trying to get my boat ready, I've not thought up any tips for this week either. Next week I'll try to do better.

bcw?

Thanks Dave! I'm still waiting for all those late entries ...

I meant smaller in time really than dimensions ;). Still lion door knocker - now that would be a challenge! How about trying to do some (tricky) part of a piece of well known style of furniture or even specific piece of furniture?

Have fun sailing - we'll miss FSUT - maybe I need a rest from 3d modelling anyway
googleeyes.gif

Cheers

Gidon

Late to the party as usual... :roll: For some reason I decided to model the Frank Klausz bench from FWW/The Workbench book - I guess I have aspirations to make something very like it one day. Anyway, it hasn't turned out to be a very suitable choice for Dave's challenge because virtually every component is different. I'm not finished by a long way as I'm doing it in 'tea-break time', but here it is so far:
klausz-bench.jpg

I still have to do most of the tail vice and some joinery details.
Its been quite a useful exercise so far - it just shows that even with the detailed plan in the back of The Workbench book, there are still a few things which are unclear and making a Sketchup model has been a really good way to sort these out.

Cheers,
Neil

Nice one Neil - good idea to do something you may actually one day make!
I find the joinery tricky to do in SU, but to be honest I don't really find it necessary for myself. Nice for completeness though - and mandatory for this task ;).
Cheers
Gidon

Neil,

I built that one - 'tis a good bench. The main thing I changed was the well which I made as a 'Charlesworth' with sliding removable bottom in sections, very useful for clamping.

Cor, I'm impressed, Nick! I was thinking as I was modelling it that there would be a LOT of work involved in making one. How long did it take you? Good idea to make the tray removable. My plan with it is to finish the Sketchup model keeping strictly to the plans, then use the model to decide what changes I would like to make over Klausz's design and put these into a Mk. 2 Sketchup plan.

Cheers,
Neil

It took a couple of weeks IIRC.

Some other changes:
Round dog holes for round dogs (sausage dogs?). Makes clamping non-rectangular pieces (which I seem to be doing more and more of) a lot easier.

This enabled me to use fewer, wider planks for the main sections, as the dog holes can be bored/drilled rather than having to be cut into the join between two boards (though that operation did burn out my cheapy drill (Ferm :sick: ) - but I got to buy me a better one in its place, so overall a win there). This was a Bad Idea. :oops: The top went cup shaped on me over the next few months. I have now planed it flat again on top, BUT it is convex underneath, so needs wedges to keep it from rocking on the base. Suppose I could plane the underside too, but at the moment I can't be ars.. er .. bothered.

I made the base with barrel nuts and bolts so that it can be taken apart - not quite sure why though. 8-[

Scariest bit: Boring holes for the end vice screw. Plenty of scope for misalignment as I was strying to keep the clearances small. Got it right though O:)

Second scariest bit: Cutting the various dovetails. This was my first go at hand made ones, and though they're not perfect, nobody else has cast aspersions in their direction.

Give it a shot, it's not as hard as it seems. Just do one bit at a time. And do make the bench slave too - it's very useful.

I couldn't face another mammoth model after the plane, but I've just done the Nelson tail vice that I have on my bench (out of the Landis book). The model is in 3DW if anyone want's it, too. Search for "vice". BTW, I used to be able to get the URL of the model, but I seem to have forgotten how! Can anyone remind me how I did it???
Tail%20vice.jpg

Nick W":rwd0e1qe said:
Give it a shot, it's not as hard as it seems. Just do one bit at a time. And do make the bench slave too - it's very useful.

Thanks, Nick :) I'll be using round dog holes as well, so I can incorporate a few of Mr. Lee's goodies :wink:

<edit> Thats a nice model of the Nelson vice, Steve =D>

Cheers,
Neil

Latest posts

Back