Another Stanley No 4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daven

Established Member
Reaction score
Given to me by a neighbour when helping to clear her garage. Not in good condition but I de-rusted it and I think it will do for what I would need. Looking at it I would guess it being from the 50's.

I do need a new rear handle (tote?) so if anyone has one to sell or can point me in the direction of where to look (tried ebay) that would be good.

Also the sole is quite pitted - is there anywhere I can get that sorted or is it not worth it.

Will post some pictures when I get a few minutes spare ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Daven":661i8yya said:
Given to me by a neighbour when helping to clear her garage. Not in good condition but I de-rusted it and I think it will do for what I would need. Looking at it I would guess it being from the 50's.

I do need a new rear handle (tote?) so if anyone has one to sell or can point me in the direction of where to look (tried ebay) that would be good.

Also the sole is quite pitted - is there anywhere I can get that sorted or is it not worth it.

Will post some pictures when I get a few minutes spare ;-)

Cheers

Dave
Pits don't usually matter much as long as they aren't too extensive. Think of them as just another variety of corrugated sole! As long as there is a fair amount of flat surface between them there is no need to go mad, lapping etc.

Jacob":3pm80id4 said:
Pits don't usually matter much as long as they aren't too extensive.

The only real problem is they tend to act as initiation points for more of the rust that caused them.

Lapping, filing etc are for removing curves, bends and hollows (macro flatness) not refining texture (micro flatness).

BugBear

I doubt I will ever use it for very fine work so doubt if I will fettle it too much, just the pitting is the worse part on the metal and as you say Bugbear it could harbour the rust virus.

Just been looking at the handle - it is broken in two and was held with 3 panel pins and of course the bolt. The front knob (note the technical terminology :) ) is fine - just sanded it down on the lathe and put a nice finish to it :D

Cheers

Dave

Daven":3w25dm99 said:
...pitting ..... could harbour the rust virus......
Not if you keep it dry and /or use the plane at all.
You will be waxing the sole every now and then and that will lie in the pits and cover the rust (NB just a quick scribble with a candle).
Or if you could wipe it with linseed oil which will also prime the surfaces which don't get polished with use.

Hi, Dave

I have a Record 4 1/2 StaySet that has pits on the sole, they keept rusting even after I araldited them, I finally cured the problem with superglue, one application was all it needed.

Pete

Racers":2wjzhr0f said:
.. keept rusting even after I araldited them, ...
Yebbut why bother? Oil, wax, no problemo. Pit phobia IMHO. :roll:
If you are going to glue the handle back together it's a good idea to wash it carefully especially the glue surfaces. Scrub gently with a tooth brush and washing up liquid. Soak off old glue. Then when its dry the new glue sticks better, Or if you need another 4 handle PM me your address I'll send you one.

Big thank you to Jacob for the handle for this plane.

Cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back