another off topic.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
Sorry, but I have no access to most Uk businesses, so does any one know of a company that will cut shapes in perspex (or acrylic) to my specifications?
I'm talking one offs here, not multiples.

how accurate do they need to be? are you talking laser cut here, or something that a scroll sawyer could produce?

http://www.razorlab.co.uk/

Used them to make a box-tie jig of various sizes and it's perfect. I think you have to make it absolutely obvious to them what bit you want back - first time they sent me several bow ties made of acrylic until I explained that was the absolute opposite of what it was I was after and that they'd effectively chucked out the bit I needed. They re-did it for free.

thanks for those, I've sent some enquiries.

A scroll saw could do the work, but I dont have a suitable blade for my bandsaw and I cant buy small pieces of acrylic locally.
I want to face a two drawer box with the yin yang chinese design.
you know the black /white curved blobs that look like raindrops? i thought it would be good to use acrylic as I want extreme white and black contrast.
If these companies work out too expensive I shall have to buy pieces in the UK when I'm back in july, and try to make them myself.

Yin yang is a very popular symbol. Depending upon the size you may find it is already available.

If you Google or eBay 'yin yang guitar inlay' or 'yin yang pendant' you will see what I mean.

If you are flexible on the design and can accept a metal border - you could probably file off a pendant tab, forstner a hole and epoxy it in.

no, ebay isnt going to help, I need them pretty big, something like a 170mm diameter circle.

Just a thought but is it worth approaching a local sign writing company?
I would of thought they would have or know of a supplier.

Yeah, this was one of those spur of the moment threads that need further thought. I think I might end up paying ten times more than the box is worth just for the front pieces.
Thanks anyway, I have had my first reply back saying no. I think there may be more to come.

Probably not what you want Bob but could you do it in metal and etch it using the laser jet printing method. Might be a lot cheaper and you could do it yourself.

sunnybob":jixcfcgp said:
Yeah, this was one of those spur of the moment threads that need further thought. I think I might end up paying ten times more than the box is worth just for the front pieces.
Thanks anyway, I have had my first reply back saying no. I think there may be more to come.
Razorlabs quote online - I don't understand how it can be a no if you've got that far. Think my template was around £30, A3 with about 10 different bow tie sizes.

If it's a case that they won't ship to Cyprus, I'm sure someone will mediate (I would) and forward on.

Anyway, it might be more than you wanted to spend, and a scroll saw sounds more feasible.

dont have a laser printer. I know someone who has, but I havent seen him in 3 years now. might be a bit of a cheek rolling up and asking to borrow his pride and joy.

Wuffles, appreciate the offer, but my first (and stupid) thought was I could get this done for a tenner delivered. Oh how we laughed.

sunnybob":3jrsdtcw said:
dont have a laser printer. I know someone who has, but I havent seen him in 3 years now. might be a bit of a cheek rolling up and asking to borrow his pride and joy.

Wuffles, appreciate the offer, but my first (and stupid) thought was I could get this done for a tenner delivered. Oh how we laughed.
Have a lol. On me.

Back