Another of my daft questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm65

Established Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon chaps and chapesses

To cut a long story short, I will very shortly be parting from swmbo - now known as swcggf (I'll let you work it out)

I'm not looking for sympathy unless there's whisky involved :) but have been looking at renting and due to finances, even sharing for the immediate future and I keep wondering what sharing a place would be like

Found a website that lists rooms to rent in existing house - http://www.spareroom.co.uk in case anyone is interested or in the same position as myself

So, the daft question is, has anyone done this before (sharing a strangers house) and if so, how did/does it work out ?

Needless to say, after 20 years with swcggf, I have my own foibles and habits and the whole thing seems pretty daunting and maybe even a little scary

Any comments or whisky appreciated

And a happy new year to all :ho2

dm65":e2novxk8 said:
- now known as swcggf (I'll let you work it out)

I worked it out sure enough - sounds like someone I know (known as swcgafh)

Only advice I can give is get your contracts in order if renting, and if sharing get an agreement written down.
Good luck chum and don't let the pippers get you down.

Den.

Sorry about your split from (swmbo), afraid I cannot offer any advice on renting or sharing a house, other than I know I would not be able to do it (sharing), I think you, plus the others would have to be very tolerant, which I am not. :evil:

But on the plus side for me, it is the long haired boss and my forty eighth wedding anniversary tomorrow 1st Jan. :wink:

Hope you get sorted soon.

Take care.

Chris R.

Zeddedhed":2ophsiwn said:
I worked it out sure enough - sounds like someone I know (known as swcgafh)

I worked yours out as well :wink:

ChrisR":2ophsiwn said:
But on the plus side for me, it is the long haired boss and my forty eighth wedding anniversary tomorrow 1st Jan
Congratulations on your anniversary Chris

Your comment about tolerance is one of my concerns, theres also trust etc but a lack of spending may force the issue till my loan is paid off

When SWMBO 1 and i parted, I was lucky, and found an attic flat in a really old house.
The other inmates were a nice bunch, in the main.
It was easy to keep clean and 1 knife, a fork, a cup and plate were easy to wash up,I Lived there for 7 or 8 years, loved it!
Can't stand football or idiots so house share was not on the list!
I wish you all the best and remember the nil carborundum bit!
Regards Rodders

cheers blackrodd - in a funny way, I'm looking forward to it - new challenges etc

got a couple of visits organised for Thursday and Friday - if I can get somewhere for me and the dog to lay our heads, I'll be happy but am hoping I'll also find somewhere to at least store my tools if not actually get to use them for a while

happy new year to anyone who reads this

Happy new year to you Dan. I hope you can keep your positive attitude and things get sorted quickly for you. I moved out from 'she who took all my money' (you wouldn't have got that one) with my clothes a bed and a radio. Luckily for me we had a few rented properties (which my solicitor kindly arranged for her to keep). So I set up in an empty one at first. I then moved into the flat above my business, (which I was allowed to keep so I could keep paying maintenance). I have to say, once over the initial shock it was a very happy period.
I can't comment on sharing, only that I couldn't. Good luck mate.

Cheers Grayorm - and a happy new year to you too despite your alcohol inspired misspell of my name :wink:

Sorry to hear of your separation but you are proof that all is not as bad as it first seems - I was gutted when I realised that I couldn't be bothered to try and fix things this time, but am now relieved and she really can ggf !!

Kids are sorted so I no longer have to worry about them, if only this had happened this July or August when my rather large, 7 year consolidation loan comes to an end - I could have afforded to get my own place

As it is, I can afford rent and bills but not food and google seems to suggest this is important :)

Last time I got my own place (25 years ago !) I had a mattress and billy cans which I used in the open fireplace (not an open fire, just no fire fitted !)

blackrodd":3blhlez3 said:
When SWMBO 1 and i parted, I was lucky, and found an attic flat in a really old house.
The other inmates were a nice bunch, in the main.
It was easy to keep clean and 1 knife, a fork, a cup and plate were easy to wash up,I Lived there for 7 or 8 years, loved it!
Can't stand football or idiots so house share was not on the list!
I wish you all the best and remember the nil carborundum bit!
Regards Rodders

Inmates? :shock: Was this one of those places where the doors were locked at 7pm? :lol:

I wish you good luck, I shared for a while when I moved out of my parents place - I wouldn't want to do it again, I ended up renting my own place. I had very little money for food or much else after paying the bills but at least it was my own space.
Its was quite strange living by myself after spending all my years living with other people :shock: took me a while to get used to it.

Still that was all a long while ago now... the odd time when the house is empty except for me is cherished these days :D

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I've been there but did have somewhere to go.
A friend, when he and she split, went and stayed at a caravan park.
Just drove in spoke to the site manager about his troubles. Fair play the guy called a few of his clients and ended up getting him into one of the empty caravans for a few hundred a month. He loved it.
The owners of the caravan gave him plenty of notice when they were going to use it, so he bunked in one of the others for a fortnight.
Gave him peace and time to get a battle plan together.
I don't know your part of the world but it might be something you could look into.
Good luck.

dm65":ejxf7o0c said:
Cheers Grayorm - and a happy new year to you too despite your alcohol inspired misspell of my name :wink:

Sorry to hear of your separation but you are proof that all is not as bad as it first seems - I was gutted when I realised that I couldn't be bothered to try and fix things this time, but am now relieved and she really can ggf !!

Kids are sorted so I no longer have to worry about them, if only this had happened this July or August when my rather large, 7 year consolidation loan comes to an end - I could have afforded to get my own place

As it is, I can afford rent and bills but not food and google seems to suggest this is important :)

Last time I got my own place (25 years ago !) I had a mattress and billy cans which I used in the open fireplace (not an open fire, just no fire fitted !)

Sorry Bob....as you say....still drunk

Happy new year Den. Really to sorry to hear about your problems and hope you get sorted quickly.

I haven't been in that position though have contemplated it once or twice (who hasn't!) so no advice to give. You say you "couldn't be bothered to fix it this time" so it seems it isn't a spur of the moment decision. That said, at least you will be able to move forward with your life.
Best of luck

Bob

Back