Another new toy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I have the top plate and can copy the clamping assembly from the bottom but needed to get the dimensions for the other bits, I will now be able to fabricate the new parts.
I have been meaning to re-furbish the fretsaw for years but never got round to it, what gave me the final push was that I am making a 1:24 scale model narrowboat and thought that the Hobbies fretsaw would give me a better finish than using a hand fretsaw.
My Grandad was a clockmaker and I remember him using it to make clock hands when I was a kid (about 40 years ago).

Thanks again, I will post a picture once I have completed my renovation.

No problem.
Don't forget that the 2 parts that drop down from the round bit to clamp the blade are loosely fixed to the round bit but are off centre to give a cam effect.
I am sure that we would like to see pictures at all stages of your restoration as well as your model narrowboat, that could be very interesting and you might like to think about starting a thread about that on it's own it sounds like an interesting project that many members would like to see.

The more photos I see, the more parts I realise are missing from my saws. Some of the parts are going to be difficult to make, if at all, without detailed measurements. I'm hoping Hobbies will be able to supply some bits, especially the stamped/pressed parts.

Martin.

I'm pretty sure that Hobbies used some of the same parts on their hand fretsaws - which do turn up on ebay quite frequently for not very much. I think Bugbear has some more detailed information and may be able to help with specifics.

martinka":2hlyrhuj said:
The more photos I see, the more parts I realise are missing from my saws. Some of the parts are going to be difficult to make, if at all, without detailed measurements. I'm hoping Hobbies will be able to supply some bits, especially the stamped/pressed parts.

Martin.

As I reassemble my saw I intend to make an accurate detailed parts list for future reference and to help others who may do the same in the future. AndyT thinks that Bugbear already has this information so he may be able to help quicker than me.

If you want me to take pictures of any parts and give accurate dimensions I am more than happy to do that.

Bad news. I just got an email from Hobbies to say that no spares are available.

Let this be a lesson - don't buy one of these saws when it has any of the metal parts missing. The wooden arms can easily be made, and I need three of those, but I have so many metal parts missing that I'm sure I can't get either of the saws working. I can possibly make some parts but they will look nothing like the stamped out originals.

This and the fact I started breaking blades on the Hegner again last night means I might just bin the lot and take up stamp collecting instead. :evil:

Martin.

martinka":2er0lsvc said:

In fairness to the present day Hobbies company they never actually made treadle fretsaws, the original Hobbies company that made them ceased trading in 1968, the present day Hobbies company was started when an ex sales director of the old Hobbies company commenced trading under a different name changing it to Hobbies around 1978, the new Hobbies did sell some fret machines but they never manufactured them.

Your best bet is to look out for another machine and try to make one good one out of the two.

OTOH stamp collecting creates a lot less dust! :)

scrimper":317k8rwv said:
martinka":317k8rwv said:

In fairness to the present day Hobbies company they never actually made treadle fretsaws, the original Hobbies company that made them ceased trading in 1968, the present day Hobbies company was started when an ex sales director of the old Hobbies company commenced trading under a different name changing it to Hobbies around 1978, the new Hobbies did sell some fret machines but they never manufactured them.

Your best bet is to look out for another machine and try to make one good one out of the two.

OTOH stamp collecting creates a lot less dust! :)
The reason I emailed Hobbies is because the chap I got my saws from mentioned a catalogue with parts for these saws. Unfortunately I wasn't taking as much notice as I should have and he could have been talking about a 100 year old catalogue for all I know. :mrgreen:
As for looking out for another saw, I already have two, and don't really have the space for these, never mind another. I am having to store them down the inspection pit in my garage which is going to cause fun when I have a car to work on. I am going to concentrate on the newer one as the frame is OK, whereas the older one has problems with alignment and has been welded in two places. Maybe the best idea would be to bin these two and look for a working one as there seems to be quite a few around.

Martin.

I haven't done any work on the lower section of my saw yet as I think that will all be easy, but I have taken the top section apart and that is where all the small metal parts are.
Having made new arms I will rebuild my saw using the original metal parts but to be honest most of them are very basic and would be easy to reproduce the only one that would be hard to make the same as the original is the pivot for the arms as shown in the photo but it would not be difficult to make something that does the job but may look different.

A1 Pivert.jpg

If I didn't have the original parts for the blade clamping at the front of the arms I would use modern blade clamps and just make the arms to suit in truth the saw would probably be better for it.

Attachments

• A1 Pivert.jpg
    A1 Pivert.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 856
uploadfromtaptalk1375304904869.jpg

Please can you tell me would two identical saws to these fit in a Renault Scenic?
Thanks
Rich

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375304904869.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375304904869.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 836
I've never been in a Scenic but mine came home in a 1998 Honda Civic hatchback which doesn't have much space in the back. You'll probably need to put the rear seats down but I think you will have plenty of room

Martin.

richard56":u03ifl15 said:
Please can you tell me would two identical saws to these fit in a Renault Scenic?
Thanks
Rich

Easily! In any case you can just undo one nut and bolt and separate the top from the leg section.

It turns out I have the pivots for the arms, albeit extremely rusty and looking nowhere as substantial as the one in your photo. I'll get them in my makeshift deruster in the next few days and see what they come out like. I discovered some more bits and with the help of Bugbear I've found out what they are for. These bits were in a bag inside a bag and very nearly got thrown out

Good news for people working on Hobbies treadle saws; I checked this morning and the upper blade
clamp with the cam is IDENTICAL to the outer blade clamp on their hand frames.

Which will thus serve as parts donors...

BugBear

bugbear":ey0pockv said:
Good news for people working on Hobbies treadle saws; I checked this morning and the upper blade

BugBear

Nice bit of info Bugbear, thanks!

Martin

bugbear":3nnyr51v said:

BugBear

Any chance of a picture of a Hobbies hand held frame with the same clamp?

richard56":3812wygk said:

Thanks
Rich

These saws are a lot smaller than they look in pictures so both will fit in your car no problem.
I am curious to know why you want to know, do we have another restoration project about to start?

That is my picture of the clamp on my A1 saw.
I was asking for a picture of the same clamp on a Hobbies hand held frame that you think is the same.

powertools":p8fslewl said:
That is my picture of the clamp on my A1 saw.
I was asking for a picture of the same clamp on a Hobbies hand held frame that you think is the same.
I know you were expecting a different photo, but it made me laugh. :mrgreen:

Back