another bandsaw opinion thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Established Member
Reaction score
I know, quite a few online already..
I have a budget of around 500 euros, and thinking of getting the metabo BAS317, which is the successor of the elektrum beckum 315.
http://www.metabo.de/index.php1/Catalog ... 5e1.0.html
sorry, its in french at my end, it may turn out in english at yours.
anyway, what would you think of this model ?
unfortunately, i doubt the ruthland SIP355 will be in my price range if you include postage to France, which is really a shame, as on paper, it looks a much better (large) saw.

Stef, I had the BAS316 for over 5 years and it was very good. I only upgraded to a record 350 because I needed the extra depth of cut for some resawing and there was a excellent offer on at the time. The only issue I recall with the Elektra beckum was the thrust bearing had a lot of paly, bue even a new replacement wasnt much better. Like any bandsaw, put good blades in and it will be fine provided you stay in the depth of cut.

I have no regrets in buying the EB and at the time (2001/2 ish) I looked at all the other similar priced ones in the UK market. I also had no trouble selling it on ebay, there was lots of interest.

Dave

oddsocks":122p1url said:
Stef, I had the BAS316 for over 5 years and it was very good. I only upgraded to a record 350 because I needed the extra depth of cut for some resawing and there was a excellent offer on at the time. The only issue I recall with the Elektra beckum was the thrust bearing had a lot of paly, bue even a new replacement wasnt much better. Like any bandsaw, put good blades in and it will be fine provided you stay in the depth of cut.

I have no regrets in buying the EB and at the time (2001/2 ish) I looked at all the other similar priced ones in the UK market. I also had no trouble selling it on ebay, there was lots of interest.

Dave
I am having nightmares with my EB 315..bought new blade guides and blade
but still no luck getting it to cut straight..It was my fault I took the guys
word that the saw was ok...& it was months before I got it set up to
work with. I now feel it needs a new throat and the wheel rubbers leveled
Try before you buy..
If there is anyone near me in Manchester who could help P/m me

My mate bought the EB315. It was noisy with its ribbed alloy table. The frame bent with the blade tension, which caused the blde guides to wear. He now has it in Devon and uses it to rough cut firewood.

Mike Wingate":9cerh4f3 said:
My mate bought the EB315. It was noisy with its ribbed alloy table. The frame bent with the blade tension, which caused the blde guides to wear. He now has it in Devon and uses it to rough cut firewood.

Last week I wanted to just let my mate have it for scrap.....But have spent to
much money on it so far...
I would rather bin a bad tool than pass it on to another worker..

well, some different opinion here.
to be honest, even if it is a good, decent saw, for the money, it all depends on how much money that is.
it looks like over here, it would cost me much more than what it is usually going for in the uk... this to me is a real put off. for the same price (500 euros) i can get much more bandsaw.

yes, there certainly is! Mind you the 316 from memory was meant to be a big improvement on the 315, but whether or not the 317 has any real new benefits or cost cutting I don't know.

I have the 316.
It is not a good machine in my opinion.
The plastic knobs are not adequate for locking the functions they control.
The tiltable table locking knob does not give enough pressure before the knob fails. ( spins in it's plastic nut) At maximum pressure on the knob the table slips and slides all over the place. You have to find a spanner to fit the locking nut after removing the plastic knob.
The fence is all over the place. It does not sit vertical to the table and saw blade, when you reposition it..that's after setting it up.
The blade bearings are not the best and the guides are a near impossibility to set when you change blades because of the poor (impossible) accessibility of the very small allan screw that locks the guides in place.
You will also find that the blades run part OFF the top wheel, for certain thicknesses of blades.
I could go on.
This machine was recommended in one of the woodworking mags at the time. I wish I had a little more experience before I purchased it.
It is a good price...but so cheaply constructed that to do anything other than rough cut is a time consuming set up nightmare.

Mikee

Latest posts

Back