Anniversary Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
I was asked to make a large bowl as a present for a friends Anniversary.

The motif inside the bowl was the design of the friend that requested it to be made. I was then asked how I could personalise it for "Sandra and Steve"

The immediate idea of German blackshirts jumped to mind but I resisted that in favour of the motif as shown.

It was made from Sycamore.

DSC01289.jpg

DSC01284.jpg

DSC01283.jpg

Comments welcomed

Very smooth, no doubt it will be a regular user and a focus for anniversary memories.

That's a lovely peice of wood WS and you managed to screw up your name yet again by NOT spoiling it! =D> =D>

I really like the simple pyro on the top and the lovely initials on the underside. How did you cut them? I love sycamore both to turn and pyorgraph and I would be proud to have made that bowl mate!

Jonzjob":sbgn4n3n said:
That's a lovely peice of wood WS and you managed to screw up your name yet again by NOT spoiling it! =D> =D>

I really like the simple pyro on the top and the lovely initials on the underside. How did you cut them? I love sycamore both to turn and pyorgraph and I would be proud to have made that bowl mate!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks for the compliments.

The letters were done using a fine tip on the Foredom (my flex Dremel type tool) to mark out the outline then ground out with a 3mm grind/ milling tip - to the lower level S then ground out the higher level S leaving a small bar between the letters at overlap. I was pleased with the resultant effect.

I think Chas has hit the nail on the head with 'smooth'

Great lines and finish - like what you have done with the base, but the top is nicely flowing

Hi Colin

Re you bowl , Wood choice good , Turning good , Finish good

However on the design side of things I am not sure it has worked ?

As its a Anniversary bowl and a celebration piece , should you have put the S S motive inside the top of the bowl with the decoration higher up on the rim

As it is now the SS is hidden from sight inside the bowl foot along with several rings ?

I understand we are all different but my view on the design is that the bowl was made upside down

Sorry

Allen

Blister":1eky6529 said:
Hi Colin
However on the design side of things I am not sure it has worked ?
As its a Anniversary bowl and a celebration piece , should you have put the S S motive inside the top of the bowl with the decoration higher up on the rim
As it is now the SS is hidden from sight inside the bowl foot along with several rings ?
I understand we are all different but my view on the design is that the bowl was made upside down

Allen

I understand your comments. On this occasion certain aspects were "beyond my control" as explained. The pyro motif was designed by my friend. She saw the naked bowl and provided the motif she wanted.

The insignia was my idea to personalise it. The reason we all love turning is the tactile nature of the things we create. They will always know the bowl is bespoke for them and apparently enjoy passing it around to anyone they can "bore" on the subject to show it off.

I like to do a nice "bottom" specifically because of the tactile bit. When the piece is turned over the "surprise" often raises positive comment.

gus3049":5t20ygbd said:
Oh hell,

Someone has to do this :evil:

Was easy clean part of the brief Colin?

Nice bowl by the way :D

No - but I was given a sketch of what she wanted (but you never know when George might judge - so easy clean is an option!)

It is different doing something to a design brief. I felt the end result was different to my usual output and interesting enough to share. There was certainly a "pressure" in working to a design that someone else has in their mind. The lady that requested it has seen all I have made so she had a good idea of what she wanted in this bowl.

Wood spoiler":1qoi2gp5 said:
gus3049":1qoi2gp5 said:
Oh hell,

Someone has to do this :evil:

Was easy clean part of the brief Colin?

Nice bowl by the way :D

No - but I was given a sketch of what she wanted

It is different doing something to a design brief. I felt the end result was different to my usual output and interesting enough to share. There was certainly a "pressure" in working to a design that someone else has in their mind. The lady that requested it has seen all I have made so she had a good idea of what she wanted in this bowl.

Colin

I now retract my comments regarding the design
I was not aware you had the design given to you by the customer

So If the customer is happy its a win win all round =D> =D>

Jonzjob":79voc0gh said:
You're going to have to change your name soom Colin? No, not the Colin one the Wood Spoiler one!

Gawd! You just can't get the staff any more :shock: :shock:

I never was good at following destructions! :oops:

You may call me WS or Colin if the full "handle" offends. I don't think you can change your name can you?

I will just have to keep taunting you with my appointed title, but it is sometimes handy to get the excuses in early!

Back