Angled sofa backrest?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polly13

Reaction score
What would be the simplest technique for securing an angled backrest on a sofa frame like this, with no support struts? (Apologies if that's not the correct term. I'm sure there must be a correct word, but I'm not sure what it is, as I'm an untutored newbie! Gussets?)

Presumably, it's not just a case of screw and glue?

Leaf 2.png

I would take the back uprights down to the floor and bolt into the leg pieces.

Cheers James

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol

I would take the back uprights down to the floor and bolt into the leg pieces.

Cheers James
Good idea, James. Seems a no-brainer, really!

How do you think they've done it in this photo, though?

Last edited:
Hi Polly, I suspect it’s just screwed straight up through the base into the back, not good, eventually it will go and probably creak in use as well.
What James said is good, it would mean moving the leg bits inwards to line up, a much more satisfactory design to my eye Ian

Lots of screws and glue I suspect, maybe some chunky dowels or steel rods as well.

Doesn't look to be a good design, aesthetically pleasing certainly but not all that practical. Probably a sofa to be looked at rather than sat on.

[QUOTE="deleted post was quoted here
[/QUOTE]
What's the point of a forum, if you can't offer an opinion in a civil manner?

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have said, move 'legs' in a bit and run the backrest uprights through the seat. But how about this. Instead of fixing then to the inside of the legs, make brackets or pockets that they slide into. Then you can lift the back out and have a single bed (or very low table tennis table?). Would need a couple of simple wedges to level it up.

To me it looks a bit more mid-west holiday cabin than anything I would want to live with every day. Easy to make though. Each to their own.

Latest posts

Back