Anatomy of a table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickDReed

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Looking for opinions.

I'm building an end table, standard shaker style thing with a drawer, maybe 2.

Its going to be approx 90cm wide, 30cm deep, 70cm tall.

Legs are approx 5cm thick. Aprons are going to be approx 12cm tall(?).

Here's the advice part. Will this table require stretches down the legs to ensure stability?

All opinions welcomed.

Thanks for your time.

It has relatively delicate proportions, but there are plenty of examples in existing furniture of this scale or finer. Shouldn't need stretchers for typical side/end table use.
Google 'antique console table' for examples with and without stretchers.

The proportions seem a little off to me. At 30cm deep, by the time you take in the leg section and short overhang then the drawers are going to be very narrow.
I'd go with the golden rectangle proportions of 8-5 for the top, so 800 long and 500 deep.

Colin

No I have built a couple out of pine to those dimensions I usually taper legs to 1" to give a finesse to the legs.

I also put a drawer in the rail as a feature.
My tops are usually 1" but tapered to 1/2" over 2". Which is where my legs rails fix

Its going to be approx 90cm wide, 30cm deep, 70cm tall.

Legs are approx 5cm thick. Aprons are going to be approx 12cm tall(?).

Here's the advice part. Will this table require stretches down the legs to ensure stability?
Not with those wide aprons on such a little table.
900x300mm means a very small footprint and tiny drawers by the time you have taken off the overhang.
Sounds like a version of the Chris Schwarz classic, as made by many, including me.
His detail are a lot finer than yours - his legs start at 30mm square, tapering to about 20
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/v...haker-side-table-popular-woodworking-magazine

Not with those wide aprons on such a little table.
900x300mm means a very small footprint and tiny drawers by the time you have taken off the overhang.
Sounds like a version of the Chris Schwarz classic, as made by many, including me.
His detail are a lot finer than yours - his legs start at 30mm square, tapering to about 20
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/v...haker-side-table-popular-woodworking-magazine
Hardwood you could definitely go down to 30mm.

I agree 500mm deep would be a better depth tbh.

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments.

The 'design' of table is dictated buly the space there is to situate it, and it has to fit in with the other furniture in the room, which is the design council's high end Next stuff.

Appreciate all your input and knowledge.

Back