An incredibly dumb question regarding bench planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogggyTown

Established Member
Reaction score
I got one of these

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=44

You may recall I had a question about snipe which started occurring after I put in a new set of blades. I made a little jig with plywood and rare earth magnets and re-inserted the blades. Now I have snipe AND chatter! My early-dementia brain forgot to note one thing when I took the old blades out. Does the beveled face of the blade go in face up or face down relative to the horizontal plane? Does it make any difference? I assumed it was bevel facing up but I went into B&Q and looked a a couple they had on display and the bevel is face down. And would this cause the problem I'm now having?

Colour me confused. :?

When the blades are inserted into the block and it's spun freehand (power off :) ) the bevel should be parallel with the beds and point to the 'shop ceiling...sounds like you've got in them in upside down - Rob

I have one of these planers and it works a treat. I don't know how many board feet of oak I have put through but it never lets me down, I don't usually have any snipe. I spent a long time getting the two tables co- planer ( you can adjust the outfeed table if you take off the base for access), and setting the height of the knives just a thou or two ( the knives just move a piece of wood about a couple of mill on the outfeed table when rotated by hand with the power off) higher than the outfeed table. I am not sure what you mean about the knives upside down, they only have a beveled edge on one side and the sharp bit faces the in feed table, when the bevel is pointing at the ceiling.

Oh, dear. I haven’t done a very good job explaining myself.

When the blade is set into the clamp on the block, and is flat (i.e. in the same horizontal plane as the feed tables), should the beveled face be face up or face down?

You are still being ambiguous!! One bevel faces up and the other down.

The flat, non beveled face of the blade touches the work first.
The bevel provides the clearance.

There is a picture in the manual. If you don't have one then you can download from axminster website.

Bob

Also, think of like a hand plane... If you have one set up correctly, turn it upside down and note which way the bevel faces. Your planer knives will all need to be like this. :)

If you set them the wrong way round and then, carefully rotate the cutter block by hand, you'll find that the blades 'rub' against the edge of your timber. Fit them correctly though, and the cutting edge should start to dig in or 'bite'.

bevel up, flat face down

did the same thing as you last week :D

LarryS":1c4vshdn said:
bevel up, flat face down

did the same thing as you last week :D

(bevel up, flat down bevel up, flat down bevel up, flat down)

OK. I think I got it now! =D> In that case, B&Q is selling their bench planes with the blades inserted upside down. Maybe I'll have some fun with the store manager tomorrow.

Back